Most comfortable headphones

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by thewinelake, Nov 2, 2013.

1. thewinelake

thewinelake New Member

Looking for some new commuting headphones. Budget is about £150 and no. 1 requirement is comfort. I guess open ear is out. I really like the feel of the Bose AE2, but am suspicious that Bose are more style over substance in terms of audio quality (though that said, they sound pretty good to me).

What others should I be looking at?

Suspect I'd like momentums but too pricey.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I review headphones, and for most of the ones I review I have to use some EQ because either the bass is too heavy or too light, or the treble is very recessed, and so on. The AE2 is one of the rare headphones I didn't need to EQ, because it's very well balanced.

You can get a better overall sound with some headphones that are made better, or tuned better with larger or heavier earcups that allow more and better damping materials to control resonances and so on. But the Bose AE2 is still very good, especially for portable use.

Here is one such upgrade from the AE2, the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear. But, you would have to stretch another 20 pounds:

Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Closed Back Headphones Blue

3. thewinelake

thewinelake New Member

Comfort of on-ear

Cheers, Dale,
    I think I would need to try them on to
    assess the comfort factor, as I've no idea what 3.2N feels like (although I guess it's equivalent to about 350g). That's the other good thing about bose - they're keen to let you try them, whereas sennheiser don't like them to leave the packaging until you've paid!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. thewinelake

thewinelake New Member

...or from looking at other threads, maybe the HP100's although a little over budget. Anywhere one can try them in London?

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The HifiHeadphones listening room isn't far from London I hear, but I don't remember if that's directly by tube or whatever - it should say on this site somewhere.

But comfort can't be estimated by weight or pressure. With the HP100 for example, the feeling is like nothing is there because the large puffy cushions distribute the weight so there's less 'feel' at any point than the AE2.

6. thewinelake

thewinelake New Member

How to audition

What do the panel think about trying headphones before buying? Or is the modern way just to buy and return?

7. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

If you don't mind a trip to the seaside, you could come to our Headphone Demo Room here in Lancing. You can get a train directly from London.

Trying before you buy is always best if possible, but if that isn't possible then you have picked a great headphone with the HP100. The Momentum On-Ears would also be a great choice as well as the Custom One Pro by Beyerdynamic. They would be my top 3 for what you need.