mp3 impedance and closed back headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by sco, Aug 31, 2010.

1. sco

sco New Member

Hi,

I'm looking for some closed back headphones to pair with my IAudio7 mp3 player but I dont want the hassle of an amp. What's the limit on impedance that I should look for.

Also I'm not a bass freak so I'm worried that closed back's might be a disappointment - I'm thinking of a pair Audio Technica A500 what do you think and what alternatives would you recommend?

Cheers for any advice,

Simon.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Simon,

The impedance gives you a clue to the difficulty of driving a headphone but it does not directly relate to how easy the headphone can be driven. Headphones with a low impedance can sound quiet and veiled, lacking top and bottom end, if the drivers are quite inefficient.

I'm guessing you want this as a totally portable set-up if you want to avoid an amp? If so the Audio Technica A500 may not be a great choice - this is a great sitting in your favourite chair headphone but it's size and very light fit (super comfy these almost float above your head) make it hard to keep on your head if you are wondering around.

There are three questions I have for you -

What is the Budget?

What are your musical preferences?

Where will you use the new headphones?

:)

3. sco

sco New Member

Hi Robin,

Thanks for this response. The headphones dont need to be portable - they will be used just whilst sat at my desk. I went for closed backs to block out the background noise rather than to limit the noise leakage.

Musical preferance is wide; Jazz, Rock, Punk but as I mentioned I don't like excessive bass. Budget is upto £160 or so, I do like your description of the A500's as super comfy so I'm still tempted by these.

Cheers,

Simon.

4. RobinHiFi

Excellent!

That gives you a better selection, the Audio Technica A700
    is considerably cleaner sounding than the Audio Technica A500.

We also really like the Beyer Dynamic DT770 80ohm, which is a warm headphone but not overly bassy (again very comfortable), clean and clear, most of the worlds best recording studios have a few if these.

Ultrasone make several fantastic closed backs which you can read about here I recommend the HFi 580 for your budget but the HFi 780 is really unbeatable at under £200 as a HiFi headphone. The very open sense of space is an amazing achievement.

Really hope this helps!

5. sco

sco New Member

Robin,

I've gone for the A500's based on finding mixed reviews of the A700 (also out of stock) and although there only seem to be good reviews of the DT770's, many times they are described as having hefty bass.

I'm sure if I could have auditioned all the ones you recommended I probably would have made a different choice...

Thanks for your advice,

Simon.

6. RobinHiFi

I don't think it is ever possible to guess what people will pick if they audition a range of headphones - Peoples taste is so individual. Luckily I also believe all the serious companies full size headphones have their merits and they are all excellent in their own way. The vast majority of the time when someone picks up their new headphones, if they try them before they leave us, the first thing they do is grin.

I'm sure you will love the Audio Technica A500 (which are really popular because they are great), I'm pretty sure if you auditioned a whole group of headphones, just like everyone else, you would kind of want them all. :)