multi-purpose closed-back headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by lil hev, Feb 5, 2011.

1. lil hev

lil hev New Member

Feb 5, 2011
    I would like to purchase some headband headphones that would be suitable for everyday usage (on train, walking on street etc) that do not make it so that everyone can hear what you are listening to..(I find it annoying when i can hear other people's music and i wouldnt want people to become annoyed with me!!) but one of the main usage of my headphones will be for running (mainly outside) I'd need them to be sweat-proof if possible - so as not to damage them!

I don't know whether it would be best to get 2 seperate pairs (one for everyday one for sport) but obviously for my budget it would be best if there was a pair suitable for both usages..!) I do not want to spend too too much but at the same time I am going to use these a lot and want good quality for the money i spend!

I have looked at and subsequently fallen in love with the WeSC Oboe Closed-back Street Headphones in white and pink...and was about to order some but didn't know whether the running/sweat thing would be an issue...because i obviously do not want to ruin them! also if the sound quality is in fact any good at all?

I have also been deliberating between getting the Sennheiser PX100-11 or the Sennheiser PX200-11 - i think these are the ones i looked at they were reccommended for sport usage on this site, as well as part of the 'best headphones' section.

I do think good sound quality is a factor here..but v important also is them staying securely on my head, fitting my head, and being sweat-proof! I only want headband ones because the in-ear ones do not stay in my ears at all - must have funny shaped ears! - and want the security of headband headphones.

Oh, and my head is rather small! so would need adjustable fit so can fit on my wee head!!

Thankyou in advance, can't wait to get some advice on this!
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Lil Hev

Although you do get sports water resistant in-ears, headband headphones with water resistant drivers are not something I have seen - the in ears are not great because sealing a unit to this degree has a catastrophic effect on the sound quality. Headband headphones however are tough beasts and are not instantly destroyed by a bit of sweat.

PX200 (which are closed back and therefore do not leak noise) are a regular choice for runners and Gym fans. This style of headphone is definitely the one to go for. You do not really sweat on the surface of the outer ear so on ear headphones should survive a decent bit of exercise. Vigorous activity will often finish of the cabling quicker, Copper is an excellent conductor but like Silver and Gold it's quite brittle.

WeSC Oboe Closed-Back Street Headphones White & Pink
    £29.95 - There is no reason why these would not work well, and why not look cool while you are working up a sweat!:)

Have a look at these which I think would also work well -

Skullcandy Icon SC Headphones in Gunmetal

Nixon Whip Closed-Back Street Headphones in Black & Red

Frends Alli Closed-Back On-Ear Headphones Gunmetal & Fuchsia

AiAiAi Tracks Closed-Back Retro Street Headphones in Black