Musical Fidelity EB-50 review

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by krismusic, Jan 27, 2013.

1. krismusic

krismusic Member

OK. I've been listening to a range of music on these now and here's what I have found.
    The only way that I have found to get the potential out of these IEM's has been to use the supplied triple flange tips inserted deep. Very deep. Ear rapingly deep! Any less and not only does the bass suffer but also the upper mids take on an artificial quality. Especially the hanging tom drums.(thanks Wikipedia! )
    Get the deep seal and they sound pretty remarkable to me. Even slightly less insertion and they don't perform.
    I have been chasing good quality sound most of my adult life. I am not certain how good at analysing sound I am but here goes.
    Straight out of the headphone jack of an iPhone 4S they sound very good but if I was being picky I would say that the bass ( lots of it) is rather unfocused and "plumy". The good news is that the rest of the frequencies are very nicely balanced with the large amount of bass. ( Unlike the IE8's!). The soundstage is good. Nice and out of the head. Just occasionally I am aware that the sounds are coming from tiny drivers within my ears but on the main not.
    Plug a LOD and amp into the iPhone and things get even better. The pluminess disappears and there is more air and separation around the instruments. I was not aware of the location of the drivers at all.
    All in all. If only these 'phones worked with shallow insertion they would be amazing. As things stand the sound is amazing but only if you can tolerate the deep, deep insertion. It remains to be seen if I can. I was pretty relieved to take them outi just now!
    That brings me to my next post! :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Have you tried other tips, like Comply tips? I'll be getting an IEM soon that has oval and round tips. I've had no real success with IEMs so far, but this time if the standard oval and round tips don't work, I'll be ordering different kinds until I find something that does work.

3. krismusic

krismusic Member

Hi Dalethorn. Yes tried Comply's. I thought I had a good seal until I tried the triple flanges.
    The Sennheiser IE8's that I have fit my ears perfectly the simple dome shaped silicon tips have always formed a perfect seal with no effort. Good luck with your next purchase. It's almost enough to make me give up on IEM's.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

So there's no way to fit those IE8 eartips to the EB50? Or maybe it's a different issue?

5. krismusic

krismusic Member

That's a really weird thing. The tips do fit the EB's fine but the tips don't work at all with them. It must be the shape of the body.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Oh, I see - so with the IE800 if those tips don't fit good, I might be out of luck with other tips not providing proper acoustics.

7. krismusic

krismusic Member

Maybe it's the luck of the draw. I don't read many complaints about fit of IEMs on forums. The IE8's are a brilliant fit for me. The 800's are a completely different shape so possibly would not work for me. Hopefully they would for you.
    It's frustrating as the best sounding 'phones in the world are no use if they are not comfortable.

8. krismusic

krismusic Member

I have very reluctantly sent these back. Outstanding Customer Service from HiFi Headphones.co.uk.

Nothing to do with the sound. Fit issues. I realised that part of the reason that they were uncomfortable to wear is that the barrel of the 'phone was pressing on my Tragus. Something that I was not going to get used to.

A great shame as these IEM's really did turn out to be outstanding once I got a proper seal. Loads of bottom end but well defined and detailed.The rest of the spectrum was similarly present and detailed without being remotely harsh or fatiguing. Despite the discomfort I would put them in and listen for far longer than I intended. They sounded to me to be accurate and enjoyable. No mean feat at this, or come to that any price.

A sound that I would be very happy with in a £300 'phone let alone one costing half that. A bargain IMHO.

I cannot stress enough how important the seal is though. If you are not impressed with these then I suggest that you haven't got a 100% seal even if you think you have.

Initially I thought I had a good seal with Comply's. I was not massively impressed but thought that the EB-50's had certain things right enough to try getting used to the sound.

I was messing about with tips one day. Tried the triple flanges and wham! Stunning. However even a slight error in insertion and the magic went.

If you are fortunate to have ears that suit the form factor and get a good seal you will not be disappointed.

Now my hunt is on to find an IEM that sounds as good and suits my ears. Next up, probably ACS T-15's...

9. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Thanks for the praise Krismusic - I really liked the ACS T-15, hope you enjoy that.

I like the way you shared your experience with the EB-50, you gave a balanced impression of trying to use these, I'm sure others will find that feedback useful. I hope you share your impressions of the ACS T-15 too, the best thing about this forum is people sharing what they think or reviewing items - I find most of the reviews and impressions here more helpful than many pro reviews!:)

10. krismusic

krismusic Member

Thanks for that Robin. Feeling the Hi fi headphones love. :)