My First Audiophile HP

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by audiophile_junkie, Jun 11, 2011.

1. audiophile_junkie

audiophile_junkie New Member

Hey guys im making this thread to see of you experts can help me deice on the perfect HD headphones to purchase. I tired of going through 2 pairs of JVC Gummies (earphones) a month. Im tired of this low quality sound. Im planning to purchase some realy good quality headphones. Here are my specifications.

1. Durability (especially on the wires)

2.Price 50-270

3.For Ipod touch

4.everyday use (in class,walking home, at home,out doors)

5.Not intrested in buying an adpapter for my ipod.

6.HEADPHONES

Would reaaly appreciate the suggestions guys thanx =]

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi audiophile_junkie

Let me know a little bit about yourself and I will try to give you a hand -

They will obviously have to be closed backs to get the range of use you want.

What are your musical tastes? What genres and what acts, groups and Artists do you like?

If you heard a perfect sounding pair of headphones would they be warm and relaxing or cool sounding and very accurate?

Let me know:)

3. audiophile_junkie

audiophile_junkie New Member

Alright well my tastes are general and underground hiphop, grunge, classic rock, Alternative.(jay-electronica eminem 2-pac nas soundgarden nirvana jimi hendrix redhot chillie peppers gorrilaz and lots more. as for the warm and relaxing im not sure what u mean, I do like bass but it cant be to much or it will just sond muddy.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I think it is worth expanding on this point as many people are likely to read this thread -

You do not hear the same as everybody else - Generally our hearing is similar but not the same. As a child it is sharper and extends much higher allowing you to perceive high pitch sounds which adults cannot. As we age we gradually begin to lose everything above 20khz and mens hearing drops lower than most womens hearing. An adult male will prbably lose the ability to hear above16 - 18khz and adult females may hear up to 18 - 20 khz. Damage to hearing, which can be temporary, semi-permanent, or permanent can effect different regions within your hearing - the bottom end, the top end or somewhere in the mids. Any loud noise or constant noise can damage hearing, hearing damage, loss or just differences from person to person can effect sense of space - especially spacial depth, the ability to separate simultaneous noises and perception of accuracy of recorded noise. Our hearing is basic but our highly developed brains make the most of this rudimentary sense - Damaged hearing can cause confusion and difficulty because the brain has to work so hard to organise the lowered amount of feedback, this is highly evident in the elderly who often are left with very little of the audiable human spectrum.

Why am I saying this? Well we all perceive music in slightly different ways and then our subjective likes or dislikes (shaped by our many and varied experiences) kick in too!

Only you can say what will suit you or what your preferences are. Myself I like sound to be presented as accurately as possible, if I don't like the way it sounds I accept this as my taste as opposed to a problem which can be resolved with equipment. This comes from 20 + years of being a musician and a decade in music production - I want to hear what was intended and use my knowledge of the studio and musicians to understand how and why a record is as it is. Reading into the musicians and knowing their quirks and influences and the tactics and ideas of producers and engineers is part of what I find compelling about listening to music.

Some people listen to music which makes them feel happy, music which reminds them of friends, family or possibly what they get up to at the weekend. This is a different way of listening to music where the playback system instead of being accurate should rather reflect the tastes or maybe experience of the listener - i.e. A dance music fan will probably want big thumpy bass with little separation between instruments and a cluttered stereo image. This is then similar in concept to a club or a car with a loud stereo. This is not "wrong", it is subjectively right for the listener and here is where people get mixed up. Everybody is entitled to their opinion but nobody should expect it to make sense to others as their experiences and circumstaces may be very different.

Most people have a strong preference toward a cooler sharper sound or a warmer more comforting sound, this is the simplest bit of their own personal bias, this and a few band names normally mean you can have a good guess what headphones they will like - otherwise my advice would be that everybody saves up for a Beyer T1 and a Beyer A1 and a Pro Audio DAC so they can hear accurately what is actually there.

So audiophile_junkie, back to you. What do you prefer - and try to give me a bit of description - a cooler sharper sound which is clean and analytical or a warm and comfy sound which is fun and less intense?:D