need a little help deciding..

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Thatsmatt, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Thatsmatt

Thatsmatt New Member

Hi guys, basically i want to buy my first set of headphones, and i would like to know which would be my best choice for closed headphones with good sound isolation/minimal sound leakage. My budget is under £100 but preferably around 70ish, the HP's im most interested in are Sennheiser HD449, but i also do want decent bass, not too much to overpower the sound but i would like a little oomph, any suggestions guys and gals? :)

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I read over 40 reviews on the 449, and it seems like a great all around headphone, a good value for the price with good sound. I don't think you can go wrong.

3. Thatsmatt

Thatsmatt New Member

thanks :), im considering that but with reviews i have read that the 449's have hardly any bass, again i'm not a bass head at all but i do like a little punch in the bass with songs that need it, which is why i considered the 439's. After some research i'm also interested in the audio technica es55's.. so i think i might go for one of those 3 so what would be the best to pick from them 3?.. also if anyone can suggest any others then thanks :) i have a week and a few days till payday so i have a little while for decision making lol

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Most reviews say the ES55 is light in the bass. And reading more reviews on the 439 this time - same story - bass light. I've bought 2 Audio-Technica headphones now that have wooden cups, and the bass is very good with those.

5. Thatsmatt

Thatsmatt New Member

hmm, ok.. i wish i wasn't so fussy and could just pick a pair haha, those audio technica's u have, are they out of my price range? lol

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

There are different ways to set a price range. You could start with low expectations at £100 or less, or just re-evaluate what you really would like to hear and then re-budget around that.

Here's an example of a terrific headphone that I have, and the ESW9a with African wood (instead of Japanese wood) is much cheaper, in the U.S. at least. There should be outlets in Europe or the U.K., but I think the Taxman is strangling availability there.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Technica-AT...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361940296&sr=1-1

I bought the ESW11-Ltd for $740 USD, thinking it would be a step up, but it wasn't. One headphone you can get in the U.K. for less is the ATH M50, which is close in quality to the ESW9. Here's a link to that:

Audio Technica ATH-M50 Professional Closed Back Monitor Headphones with Coiled C

7. Thatsmatt

Thatsmatt New Member

well, honestly im not looking for anything around that price range now, i don't earn enough to really go out and spend money on high-end headphones, and since this is my first pair of headphones they don't have to be anything amazing, since i have never really spent anything over £20 on in-earphones and want go a few levels up. So i'm sure i'll be more than happy with whatever choice i make here lol. I'm just looking for the best value for money portable-closed HP's under £100 for now at least.