Need a pair of iem's

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by bfcbrad, Mar 27, 2011.

1. bfcbrad

bfcbrad New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Hi I'm looking for a pair of iem's and need a little advise. At present I'm using Koss portapro which has a little to much bass. Sony mdr v6 which are great for electronic but for other genre's there to shrill for my ears and some Koss pro DJ100 which I absolutely love. My sound preference in order of priority is 1) Clarity 2) slightly forward mids 3) Clear highs that need to be smooth, as my ears don't do shrill, like my sony v6 4) Good quality bass but not bass heavy. I'm looking at the phonak 012,brainwavz m2, and REO's. If anybody has tried these headphones can you tell me if any match my personal sound preference.
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Not tried the brainwavz m2's so cannot offer an opinion there.

The Phonak 012 certainly fit the bill for Clarity, Clear highs and slightly forward mids. They are smooth (there is a lack of perceivable grain and plenty of detail, whilst smooth may normally suggest a lack of detail and grain and therefore diminished accuracy I feel these find an excellent balance at this pricepoint) with very little grain due to the balanced armature drivers and are certainly not fatiguing, good bass which is in excellent balance to the whole sound.

You could say almost exactly the same thing about the REO's. Both are natural and have a silky quality to the detail which you used to have to pay a lot more for!

I think it is a matter of personal taste as THIS THREAD bares out. I really like the Phonaks but maybe that is because I own a pair, we have some REO's in the office and I am always surprised how good they are. I don't think you would be disappointed with either but ultimately this is a tough decision! Good luck and let the forum know which choice you make and how it works out.:D