Need a small very high fidelity portable headphone

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by dalethorn, Sep 9, 2012.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

My wife just did a run-through of my headphones in a comparison to her beloved B&W P5. She didn't like anything I had until she listened to the Shure 1840, which she loved. But she wants a very compact portable, preferably closed and small like the P5, but with much better sound. Is such a thing available at any price? She did not like the v-moda M80 for example. Price is no object, but has to be small, not stick out like a Martian helmet, and sound really top notch - very hi-fi, but not bright.

2. marcusd

marcusd Member

Aiaiai Tracks is very competitive Dale at around $50 and pretty small.

Also the Noontec Zoro has plenty of value in it also at the same price.

Look also at the Ultrasone Zino and Skullcandy Aviators for varying musical strengths - the aviators are nicely balanced.

A lot swear by the Sennhesier PX-100 II also which is as small as it gets.

3. marcusd

marcusd Member

I do note, outside of earphones, small these days is not that incredibly hi-fi. I would strongly suggest the AKG K3003 if money is no object since for me they are one of the best earphones to have ever been made and truly high fidelity.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Update 5 Feb 2014: We have found several excellent small portables. Worthy of mention are the Beyerdynamic T51p (haven't tried the DT1350 'refresh' version yet), the Sennheiser Momentum on-ear, AIAIAI TMA-1x, Harman Soho, and v-moda M80 -- in that order.

5. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd probably go for either the T51P (more detail) or Momentum On Ear (warmer sound) - Depends what type of sound your wife prefers :)

6. tiborm

tiborm New Member