Need advice buying over-the-ear, closed cans headphones. $100 budget.

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by metric man, Apr 11, 2014.

1. metric man

metric man New Member

Apr 11, 2014

I've never had a really good pair of headphones and don't know all that much about them. After looking around a bit though, the audio technica ATH-M50S, the UE 6000 and the HD439 all seem like good choices. My budget is around $100, but I'm willing to go $20 above budget if need be. I'll be using these headphones on my desktop while browsing/ playing games and occasionally while traveling long distances (i.e. air plane, long bus trip,etc.). I want closed, over-the-ear headphones that are comfortable enough that I can where for 3-4 hours without being bothered. My preference in music is rock/ electronic.

What are your thoughts?
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    The M50 series are great headphones, no need to qualify that further. Highly recommended. The UE6000 in passive mode is bland, dull, or just weak in treble - but in active mode it has a strong treble and the fattest boomiest bass I've ever heard. The M50 bass OTOH is most unusual in getting stronger the deeper it goes, so it's much better, but only the UE6000 has active noise canceling. The HD439 I haven't heard, but I've never read where anyone compared it favorably to the M50.
  3. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I think that for the price you really can't go wrong with the M50 - they sound great and don't rely on the noise cancelling :)