Need advice -- How do you buy a pair of earphones you want if you can't test them?

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by trelx, Nov 4, 2012.

1. trelx

trelx New Member

So I've been looking for a solid pair of earphones (under $100), not in-ear phones (they feel like Q-tips to me), and not headphones....just something like those earphones that come with your Ipod but sound much better.

Now I can obviously see why stores won't let you test them, because who'd want to wear a pair that's been in 100's of people's ears? That being said I come to you, and look for some advice on a good pair you'd recommend. Quick info:

• I listen to a lot of classic rock/ballads, not sure if this helps recommend a pair?
    • I am not a fan of bass, the whole thump-thump sounds people obsess over isn't something I care for much. I like the sounds to be very clear.
    • I'd like a pair that is durable and doesn't break easily like the cheap earphones.
    • I'd like them to be comfortable.
    • I'd like them to be under $100.

I'd really, really appreciate any recommendations or suggestions you may have, including the pro's & con's.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The new Apple Earpods are excellent hifi earphones, they fit much better than the old earbuds, they are durable, and cost $29. If you haven't heard them then you would not believe how good they are. Highly recommended.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

It's definitely earbuds you are after and although I have not had a go with the earpods yet I'm sure Dale is right to recommend these "next gen" Apple Earbuds.

On the general subject of not being able to try most headphones (but especially earphones), this is probably why there is so much great info and discussion online. Doing some research is the best option you have - in the UK shops do not have to take back products which cannot be sold as new again because of hygiene (food, medicines or devices that enter a body cavity), I don't know if this is the same in most countries though.