Need Advice on Headphones Under ~100

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by tony48, Jan 28, 2012.

1. tony48

tony48 New Member

Hi, my name's Tony and I'm new to high quality headphones. I've decided that it's time to get a decent pair since I can justify their purchase.

What I want: The only pair of high quality headphones that I have experience with are Beats by Dre Solo's. I know these headphones are way overpriced for what they are. However, I'm looking for a headphone with a similar design. I like the closed, on-ear style that they offer, but I'm looking for something a little more durable and less expensive. I will be using these headphones to listen to movies on my laptop and to listen to music (Rock and pop) when I walk around college campus.

I've done a few hours of research but I haven't come up with anything that's really jumping out at me so I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me by reccomending specific headphones or brands.

Again, thanks for your help and don't hesitate to ask any questions that can help you in any way.

-Tony48

PS. The only pairs of headphones that I have seriously considered so far are the Grado SR60's and AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS55's based on rave reviews. Any opinions on these?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Opinions

They're both good, but sound different from each other.

3. tony48

tony48 New Member

I know the AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS55's are made for heavy base but how are the mids and high's?

I listen to about half pop and half classic rock and a lot of classic rock songs need clear mids and highs to sound great. Any help here? Unless the upper end of these headphones are terrible, I'm probably going to purchase them.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

At ws55

According to most users, way better than Beats or Bose. I can't say other than all the reviews I've read.

5. tony48

tony48 New Member

Ok, thanks very much. This is very helpful for me.

I'd really like to see a picture of the Audio Technica's on someone's head so I know how large they are and how they fit but I can't find that anywhere

EDIT: I found some videos with images of them on people's heads and they look awesome. I'll definately be purchasing these, Thanks for you help dalethorn!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator