Need advise about choosing headphone

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by bluecriminal, Dec 5, 2010.

1. bluecriminal

bluecriminal New Member

Hello,

I had been looking around the internet trying to find a headphone that suit my need, but I couldn't decide for myself. The problem was probably different reviews around the net about the same headphone made me very confused. Really need some advises from people.

My choosing criteria as below:

- The headphone has to be closed + overhead (minimal sound leaking)

- I prefer treble and mediant, don't really like powerful bass. The detail in music is very important to me. (accurate bass is good; lack of bass is not ideal)

- I would be wearing the headphone for hours to do my project or so, thus comfort is important. (My ears are not flat along my face, but kind of sticking out, not sure does this matter. And I do wear specs.)

I will be using it both at home and while taking bus to Uni/walking on the street/etc. It's ok to be big, but not ok to be uncomfortable.

The music I listen to the most is pop and classical music.

My budget is up to 60 pounds unless a little bit more would make a huge difference.

Any advises will be very appreciated. Thank you.

Patrick

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Patrick

Here are some suggestions -

Frends Alli Closed-Back On-Ear Headphones True Black
    £37.95

Sennheiser HD203 Closed-Back Stereo Headphones (HD 203)
    £39.95

AiAiAi Tracks Closed-Back Retro Street Headphones in Black
    £49.95

Sennheiser PX200 Headphones Black (PX 200 Folding Headband)
    £49.95

Shure SRH240 Professional Closed Back Headphones (SRH 240)
    £59.95

Small light and great sounds - You just have to find something you love the idea of, most serious brands have something good at this price and with the budget they have to manufacture them all the above are excellent.

3. bluecriminal

bluecriminal New Member

Thank you so much =)
    But I have a question, I had seen many reviews about shure 240 which I thought was a great headphone. All the reviews said it was cheap, why was that?

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I think this is just in comparison to the Shure SRH840, these are excellent and for certain people the obvious choice! They are almost three times the price which gives the manufacturer an awful lot more to play with.

For the price that the SRH240 comes in at they are great - They are nowhere near as bassy as the SRH840 but this suits your taste better.:)

They are easily as solid in construction as the DR DRE Monster Studio if not better.

5. bluecriminal

bluecriminal New Member

Oh I see. Thanks for fulfill my curiosity. I think I know what to go for. =D