Need Help deciding

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Jazz83, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Jazz83

Jazz83 New Member

I have a chance of getting either one for free

BOSE® QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones
    or
    Polk Audio UtraFocus 8000

Which one is better for an individual who listens to a lot of Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock, and Grunge.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Jazz83

Although I have not heard the Polk Audio noise canceller I would be shocked if it doesn't wipe the floor with the Bose. Too many people I trust have very favourable things to say about the UtraFocus 8000 and BOSE Q15 are painfully average!

These are great as well

PSB M4U 2 Closed Active Noise Cancelling Headphones (PSB-M4U2)
    £299.00

It's great that proper HiFi companies have started to have headphones built - especially if they are going to give them some proper time and attention rather than picking an off the shelf OEM an having their name written on it.

3. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Ohhh I have heard some good things about that one. Any idea how it compares to Dale's favourite (the UE6000)? and any plans on getting the UE6000?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I got the idea that Polk is new to headphones. I just don't remember them popping up anywhere with real visibility. Harman/Kardon, another old-time audio name, tried making a splash with the CL for $200 USD and a Bluetooth companion 'BT', but given the weird design and prices, I don't think they're going anywhere. Does Polk have a headphone (on-ear or over-ear)?

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

6. marcusd

marcusd Member

Another good alternative is the AKG K495.

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I read 3 Amazon reviews that were very positive (and informative, atypical for Amazon), then Innerfidelity's rave review. Then Innerfidelity's tests showing a big increase in the mid to lower bass along with a fairly significant dip across the treble. So it's unknown whether this would be fixable for high fidelity listening. I get along good with the Amperior which has a boosted bass but OK treble, and good too with the Momentum which has a fairly normal bass but recessed treble that's amenable to a small boost. Some headphones just don't fix up with simple EQ - I wish there were reviewers who could tell you that. Besides me - I can't afford to buy a dud.