Need sage advice - on/over ear for iphone, lossless music

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by phrehdd, Oct 27, 2013.

1. phrehdd

phrehdd New Member

Like many, I get rather confused and lost in all the offerings out there and was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction for an on ear or over ear solution.

My criteria

1) iPhone as main player
    2) 90 percent lossless music (either CD converted or 96/24 converted to 44.1/16 AAC lossless)
    3) ear comfort - my right ear is particularly sensitive as the cartilage was banged up years ago but my hearing remains excellent. Comfort and fidelity remain the most important facets to me.
    4) prefer in line mic or ability to change out provided cable with another brand's cable with in line mic
    5) not so worried about looking "designer" but more about sound, comfort and durability. These would be used for outside use (walking, in car etc.).
    6) audio - prefer natural, transparent hi fidelity if possible but okay if slightly dark if the profile is for many hour play at a time.
    7) music - jazz, classic rock, movie filmscores/classical, pop, moderate to mellow vocals etc. (Beatles, Krall, LOTR filmscores, Arkenstone, Ella Fitzgeral, contemporary pop rock as examples)
    8) prefer slightly portable (fold up) but would sacrifice for comfort and music quality.
    9) budget - 150-450 American dollars
    10) absolutely ZERO interest in bass heavy gimmick items like Beats.

Presently, I have an old Sennheiser over the ear for home (must be about 12 years old) and also was gifted about 5 years ago some on ear Bose which I used because in ear phones was a miserable experience for me. The Bose to me was not very good and rather hallow sounding. However, I used them because there were reasonably comfortable. They are what will be replaced as the earpads are going and the audio seems to be getting worse.

If there is a particular post or thread that has perhaps a comparative rating of choices based on some or all of my criteria above, I'll be very happy to take a look there too.

Thanks in advance all and forgive my long lackluster post as its my first here.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

3. phrehdd

phrehdd New Member

I ventured over to an Apple Store and sadly both the Momentum and the P7 were there but not on display for demo. However, I did manage to go to a Best Buy that had the over the ear Momentums along with a few other Senns and other makers offerings. - I cannot tell if the Momentums were fully broken in but they seem to have a decent sound to them and yes, I can put my ear into them and it does rest on the lower ear. I was also able to listen to an AKG(?) 900x or something and a strange rather large item by I think PSB. Each one seem to have a perk to them with the PSB by far being the most comfortable and more bass presence but surprisingly not too muddy. The AKG kind of neutral sounding and a touch flat. I can understand why some people really like the Momentums as they seem to be very capable but perhaps reserved on the imaging/soundstage? I do know that often these demo setups really don't do justice and I was unable to convince the BB staff to let me hook them up to my iPhone which has about 30 gigs of music all lossless.

Your post inspired me to go have a look and listen. I may still end up with the Momentums but still open to your other suggestions.

4. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Taking all of your needs into account I think the Momentums tick the most boxes. I would highly recommend the Shure 940s but they don't have an in line microphone option.