Need some help choosing new headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by kugalskaper, Jun 6, 2012.

1. kugalskaper

kugalskaper New Member

Hi people.

My old gaming headphones died on me recently and im planning to buy new ones. However this time i decided to spend some money and get a decent pair. After some searching online i decided to not buy dedicated gaming headphones, but go for some entry level hifi head phones instead (and then just buy a mic).

My budget is about 130 GBP. I'm looking for a comfortable set which can be worn for longer periods of time. I plan to use them with my computer (games, movies music), but it would also be nice to be able to wear them outside. I listen to a lot of different music (from rock, to classic, dubstep and so on), so im looking for something versatile.

I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 558, and they seem perfect but for one thing. Since they are open there would be sound leakage, which would be a problem if i decided to use them in public areas (bus, air plane). Or is the leakage not so bad? I dont usually listen to music at ear drump piercing levels.

I was also looking at the DENON AH-D1001. However i have read conflicting reviews online (some VERY positive, and some not so).

Anyone have any experience with these two? Or have some other options for me to check out?

All help appreciated :)

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Here's the list I use. The Beyer DT770 80 ohm or the ATH M50 would be good choices for what you describe.

Closed Back Headphones

3. kugalskaper

kugalskaper New Member

Thank you very much for your swift reply.

I've been reading up on the two set of cans you recommended and they both seem great. But im leading more towards the beyers. However i have some concerns.

A lot of the reviews ive read say that the beyers 80 - would require amplification to get the most out of them. I currently live abroad and only have my notebook and wouldnt be able to afford a good amp. only something portable like this: CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Go! PRO | HRA?KY.CZ . But i dont know if that will be sufficient. Also do you have any experience using them with an ipod/smart phone? Will the volume be adequate?

I'm also a little worried about the "free hanging" cables. They seem kinda exposed, especially on the go.

I will read more reviews and see if i can find a store where i'll be able to try them out (although i doubt it as it seems they are only available from online dealers in the Czech republic)

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

5. kugalskaper

kugalskaper New Member

Thanks, i will check them out.

I didnt know that the denons where discontinued. However one of the major internet dealers in czech republic have the denon 1001 still in stock. (might be an error on their webpage though)

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

All of the better headphones like these will do better with a dedicated amp, but that does not mean they will suffer with an iPod. If your tracks have good volume they will sound 98 percent the same on iPod or amp. If you have a lot of low-volume tracks you may need to raise the volume of those. There are temporary and permanent methods for doing that.

7. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo New Member

I hope I'm not too late to the party on this one - I use the Beyer DT770 PRO 80 Ohms for gaming/music, coupled with a Xonar DX.

They're sublime mate :)

I use the SRH840s if I need more passive noise cancellation though - Which means 'work' cans lol.