Need some help choosing some new in-ear headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by DocBox, May 21, 2012.

1. DocBox

DocBox New Member

Hi there. Basically, I'm looking for a step up from my current in-ear headphones, the Klipsch Image S4i's. I currently use these for my iPhone 4S and they are the most comfortable pair of headphones I have ever used, and the sound quality, I found, was very impressive by my standards. Having said this though, after owning them for 2-3 years, they have now reduced in audio quality, and parts of the rubbery material just under the actual earphones is splitting open, along with the buttons on the volume rocker losing their responsiveness - they now require a much firmer press. So, I've briefly been looking around for a new pair but I don't really know much about what brands are best quality/value for money.

I've seen one pair of Beyerdynamic MMX 101 IE's, which seemed quite interesting. If anyone's got these headphones, I would really appreciate the feedback regarding audio quality, and build quality etc. They're pretty much my ideal price for a step up from my current Klipsch ones.

Having mentioned pricing, my IDEAL budget is anything up to £60, however I could be pushed to a price such as £85-90, provided it was a really tempting offering that had that price tag. I did briefly take a look at some Monster Turbine Pro Copper headphones which I heard had tremendous sound quality... Theeeeeeeeen I saw the price tag and my heart sank ^_^ Any information/feedback I can get on how good these ACTUALLY are?

I'd really appreciate some feedback and recommendations on any brands/models that I should be looking at.

Many Thanks,

George Cocks

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi DocBox

The Beyer DTX 101 you are looking at are my preference over the S4i, they are more solid sounding with a slightly better grip on the bass. What is your preference soundwise (bass heavy/basslight) and what music are you into?:)

3. DocBox

DocBox New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Before I go on, what exactly is the difference between the MMX and the DTX, for example is there any sound quality difference.

As for music, I seem to have 2 musical moods. One consists of artists like Skrillex, Knife Party, Mord Fustang, Kill the Noise, and Deadmau5 whereas my other mood consists of artists such as Ed Sheeran, The Script and Adele. I understand that's like 2 ends of the spectrum, but yes I would say that my preference is bass-heavy, really.

Also, do you have any feedback on the more expensive model(s) I mentioned.

Once again, many thanks :)

4. RobinHiFi

The only difference between the DTX and MMX 101 is the inclusion of mic and MFB on the MMX101, they don't sound any different. Monster Turbine Pro are ok, but not earth shatteringly good, if you want to spend more I think you would like the Shures or the Westone W range (not the UM Range, they are not as bassy).

here is a suggestion though - little known, terrible packaging, massive bass with a lovely clean feel.

TFTA-2100-2V1S In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones
    £99.95

There is an even bassier model but in my opinion the bass is just too big on that one - as you seem to like Dubstep and Bass stuff in general you might like - just don't blame me if listening to Skrillex through these makes your head come loose! :)

TFTA-2100-3V2B Extra Bass In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones
    £99.95

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  5. DocBox

DocBox New Member

Again, thanks for the reply. So, what exactly do you mean by MFB? I'm probably being thick and it's something obvious but nonetheless, I don't know what it means ^_^

Thanks for the suggestions, by the way. I'll be sure to check them out later :)

--EDIT--

One other thing, do you happen to know anything about the ClarityOne headphones? They caught my eye at one point, and it said something about 8 Ohms... I'm not exactly an audio technician, but could you clarify what is actually so special about this pair of headphones, if anything? :) that would be greatly appreciated, the company claims they're all "one of a kind" and all that jazz, but hey you won't exactly find a company that puts down their own product, so! :D

Oh and how good are the TFTA headphones for build quality. Being a not very well known company (Ive only just found the website) I don't know much about their reliability etc. and if I order the heavier bass ones, if I find they are "too much" for me regarding bass, is there something I can do to send them back and get a refund or exchange em for the less bassy model?

And finally, how different are the Beyerdynamic DTX's to the TFTA headphones regarding audio quality?

Thanks for your brilliant feedback so far.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  6. fdenture

fdenture New Member

I don't mean to interrupt, but in addition to his question, what do ohms do? Or what are they?

7. DocBox

DocBox New Member

Haha, that's alright, any and all input is welcome :) I also wanna know about all this ohms malarkey ^_^

8. chimp306

chimp306 New Member

Im not an expert, but i think i can answer this.

Think of ohms as the ammount of energy needed to drive the headphones, so in really simple terms with a pair of 8 ohm headphones you will use less energy than a pair of 16 ohm.

on a mobile device this could have some battery life benefits.

hope this helps

9. UndefinedMemory

UndefinedMemory New Member

Ohms are the unit of measurement for impedance/resistance. The higher the value the more energy that is required to make the headphones produce noise. What this translates to is that higher impedance headphones require more power to drive. I don't believe that this will drain your battery anymore per se, but it will mean that you will need to have the volume set higher to obtain the same listening volume on headphones with higher impedance.

Portable headphones are generally quite low impedance, so you can obtain a good listening volume with the standard output from your ipod/etc. However, this is not the only measurement of the source requirements for headphones. Denon's flagship headphones, the AH-D7000, are rated at 32 ohms. I can use them with my iphone, but the sound quality coming out of my amp is SO much higher that I simply never would. Whereas my Beyer DT-1350 portable headphones are rated very similarly in terms of impedance but the difference between them out of my iphone and them out of my headphone amp is not nearly as striking. They simply don't respond to the higher quality and higher output of the amp as well.

If you have higher impedance (300-600ohm) headphones then they really are intended for home use and you will get MUCH more out of them with a dedicated amp that is designed with that in mind.

Hope this helps.

10. DocBox

DocBox New Member

Thanks for the valuable information about Ohms. Now all I need is the answer to my post above and all my questions are answered :D

11. RobinHiFi

Nice answer UndefinedMemory!

Sorry about my jargon Docbox:confused:

An MFB is a Multi Function Button - This button will answer calls on an iPhone and end them. It will also pause or play with one touch and two presses will go one track forward and three presses one track backwards.:)

Very useful if you are commuting or just prefer your phone/mp3 player in your pocket. These are normally always accompanied by a mic.

12. DocBox

DocBox New Member

Ahhh, I see, thanks very much. So regarding the extra questions I added before,*you happen to know anything about the ClarityOne headphones? Could you clarify what is actually so special about this pair of headphones, if anything? :) that would be greatly appreciated, the company claims they're all "one of a kind" and all that jazz, but hey you won't exactly find a company that puts down their own product, so! :D

Oh and how good are the TFTA headphones for build quality. Being a not very well known company (Ive only just found the website) I don't know much about their reliability etc. and if I order the heavier bass ones, if I find they are "too much" for me regarding bass, is there something I can do to send them back and get a refund or exchange em for the less bassy model?

And finally, how different are the Beyerdynamic DTX's to the TFTA headphones regarding audio quality?

Once all these questions are answered, I should know everything's need to know to make my decision on these headphones, unless you have one specifically you think I should go for out of all of these, or even one you haven't mentioned yet.

I am incredibly grateful for everyones feedback :)

13. DocBox

DocBox New Member

Just wondering if any one us able to get back to me regarding my queries above :) many thanks

14. RobinHiFi

The TFTAs currently have the worst packaging I have ever seen! Once you get past this they are actually really well made and if you want a pair of bass mosters they are well worth a look. The Heavy Bass ones are absolute monsters, bone shaking bass! Beyers DTx101 is really quite nice for its price - it is more of a warm and comfortable sound than having really big bass. They are a little more refined than the TFTA.

15. DocBox

DocBox New Member

Could you elaborate into what you mean by more "refined"? I just wanna make sure I'm getting a quality product :)

Also, regarding the packaging, TFTA have recently changed their packaging and their contents according to a few sources:

http://www.totallydubbed.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Pack.jpeg

Was this the packaging you were referring to or the utterly rubbish one before?

Also, just how bassy are the DTX's? Are they better than the Klipsch Image S4i's?

And if I purchase the Extra Bass TFTA's (When they actually become available again), if they're too bassy for me can I return them for a refund or exchange them perhaps?

Many thanks once again, by the way. All this help is highly appreciated.

16. DocBox

DocBox New Member

I'm pretty much torn between the following:

TFTA-2100-3V2B Extra Bass In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones

Beyerdynamic DTX 101iE Dynamic In-Ear Isolating Headphones Red

Beyerdynamic MMX 101 iE Isolating Earphones with Mic (MMX101iE)

The TFTA's are heavily attractive to me because of how incredible the sound quality is made out to be.

The DTX 101 iE's attract me because of the good value and nice red colour.

The MMX 101 iE's attract me because of the iPhone compatibility, along with the neat addition of a VoiP adapter for applications like Skype.

Generally, the Beyerdynamic headphones are really nagging at me because I know Beyerdynamic is a reputable and reliable company, with reliable equipment, and the TFTA's... Well, I am just unsure about reliability of the company, and what kind of accessories I'm going to get..

That, and the extra bass model is out of stock on your site and TFTA's own website.

Any advice to really narrow it down? I would find it incredibly helpful for a quick breakdown regarding sound quality for each of those three, because I'm concerned if I go for the Beyerdynamic's I'm going to be missing out.

Thank you so so much for your brilliant help.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  17. RobinHiFi

I really like the Beyers. They are warm but clear, a comfy sound which does not jar you but isn't boring either. I would pick these over the TFTA but then I am not much of a basshead. If you are then the TFTA Extra Bass will blow you away - I remember almost being shocked by the level of bass - I certainly laughed anyway. The normal ones have pretty massive bass too, strangely it doesn't bury the detail like most super bassy headphones do. There is always the chance the TFTAs could be too bassy. We will always support customers who have made a legitimate error in what they have bought so feel free to make a mistake with this choice:)

18. DocBox

DocBox New Member

Thanks very much :) I've ordered the Beyer MMX's from Amazon and if I feel they aren't right for me, I'll definitely be ordering the TFTA's from HiFi Headphones, preferably the extra bass model when it's in stock. Trust me, I really appreciate your offer regarding if they're the wrong ones, it really takes a load off my chest.

Thanks so much for all your help.

19. RobinHiFi

No Problem:)

I hope they are back soon we are just waiting to find out - feel free to email us about stock levels of anything, we normally have a good idea when thing will come back in but not always.

20. DocBox

DocBox New Member

One final thing, do you recommend I allow burn-in time for the Beyers?