Need some new earbuds

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Chris7197, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Chris7197

Chris7197 New Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Hi all,

I've been a lover of my Shosche IDR656MD earphones for a while, but the build quality is horrendous - I've been through 3 pairs, and I've just broke my fourth despite being very careful. So I'm now in the market for some new in ear headphones.

• I mostly listen to alternative rock such as Muse, Radiohead and Coldplay. I also listen to ambient instrumental music such as Explosions in the Sky and God is an Astronaut. I do not listen to hiphop/rap.
    • I'm looking to spend about £80-£120 - maybe stretching a little bit more if they're worth it.
    • Volume controls, mic etc would not influence my purchase as my phone cannot use these anyway.
    • I will also be buying Comply tips, or maybe reusing the ones with I used with my Scosche's (T-400).
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Although it seems you like music which has a lot of intricate detail and would work well with cooler sounding more precise earphones it is also possible you enjoy a warm sound -

Here are two different groups -

Firstly warmer sounding -

Not too big on the bottom end but these are definitely kinder on thouse who are sensetive to high frequency sound and find it fatiguing - the price to pay is a little loss of detail and separation.

Westone UM1 True-Fit Single-Driver Earphones (UM 1)

Shure SE215 Sound Isolating Earphones in Black (SE 215)

Beyerdynamic DTX 101iE In-Ear Isolating Headphones in Silver

Now cooler sounding -

I think these are the more likely ones for you as they will reveal more detail and although bass is lower it is also tighter and more accurate.

Audeo PFE 012 Perfect Bass Earphones in Black (PFE-012)
    £89.99 - Comply tips T-130 for this model

Audeo PFE 112 Perfect Fit Earphones in Black (PFE-112)
    £119.95 - This one has the two lighter filters and a pair of Comply included!

Shure SE315 In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones in Clear (SE 315)
    £134.95 -

Etymotic hf5 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones Black
    £99.95 - quite bass light

Feel free to ask more questions.