New earphones with longevity

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by F85, Mar 26, 2012.

1. F85

F85 New Member

Hi,

I'm looking to buy some earphones\ear-buds but was wondering if nylon braided ear-buds better as in the past my earphone wires or connection to the jack get messed it up.

I'm looking for earphones with longevity and preferable with a remote, any suggestions?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Headphones

I tested the large and small beats at the Apple store. The large beats had a huge midrange emphasis around 250 hz that was NOT fixable by iPod EQ, so I rejected the large beats.

The small beats was bassy and unbalanced, and while bass reduction EQ helped it to some extent, I still did not find a satisfactory EQ setting to make the small beats anywhere near as good as the Bose. So I also rejected the small beats.

If a person wants a headphone they will actually listen to, which has a high fidelity sound, they should look elsewhere.

3. UndefinedMemory

UndefinedMemory New Member

Hi F85,

In my experience it varies a lot, but I would expect that anything with a thicker cord or a coating/covering to help it get tangled less is going to last longer. I know that some Denon headphones use a sheath around the cables to protect them but this tends to generate noise up the cable.

What's your budget? Probably the toughest good quality headphones you could get at the moment are V-Moda M-80s. They're incredibly durable and the cable is kevlar coated! They come with two cables with mics, one specifically for iphones and one for other phones, so you can use them with anything. They also have a small, angled headphone plug so it's less likely to get caught on anything. I highly recommend them but I'm aware they may be a bit more expensive than you're looking for.

4. marcusd

marcusd Member

Actually I found the toughest cable on an earphone that is not detachable to date is the Aiaiai Swirl 2.0 which is might thick and does not tangle very easily. The sell for around $80 or 50 quid and have a nice warm if somewhat dark tone with v-shape sound quality (bass and treble). They come in straight line or with remote if I am not mistaken though depends on the region.

5. F85

F85 New Member

Cheers Marcusd and UndefinedMemory,

I think I'll check them both out. Ideally I don't want to spend more then £50 but if the earphones are of good quality I might go over that.

Appreciate the advice :D