New Gaming Headphones (Sorry for double thread if that's the case)

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Peb, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Peb

Peb New Member

Hello everybody, I'm new to the forum and I need help choosing a new pair of cans for my PC, they will be used for:
    -Gaming (75%)
    -Music (20%)
    -Videos, movies, etc. (5%)
    I've read the others threads about this and I have concluded to choose the Audio Technica m50, but I wanted to see if anybody had another choice, my specs would be
    -Good balance and quality of Highs, Mids and lows (Don't like Overwhelming basses)
    -Comfortable and not so heavy
    -DAC or Amp accessible if necessary
    -They will be mainly used for FPS, but I will also use them for more types of games
    -Price range of £90-£120
    Update: Found a good value pack of an Audio Technica ATH-M50 with a FiiO E6 Amp, if this is good please tell me. (This pack is no longer available, still open to get the FiiO E6 separately if required)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

It's an excellent value, but make certain it's 100 percent returnable if anything isn't right.

3. Peb

Peb New Member

A little question, I found that there's an M50x version, and also a red version. What are the differences, apart from the red one being literally red?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

M50x == detachable cable, same sound. Red is same sound also.

5. Peb

Peb New Member

Another question, do I need the FiiO E6 or any other amp, or should I get a DAC? Or if any of those 2 are required?

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

What components are you going to plug the amp into? If it's a computer, the FiiO E07k below is a great USB DAC and headphone amp, especially for the M50.

FiiO E07K Andes Portable Headphone Amplifier & USB DAC

7. Peb

Peb New Member

Yes, it's going to be a computer, so I will need a DAC right? I will check the FiiO E07k, but in case it's out of my budget, what other DAC would be good?

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The E07k is by far the best bet, with better sound than most of the pricier DACs that are also headphone amps. If the low-priced E07k seems too costly, then just save up for it because you will need a good amp like that for the M50.

9. Peb

Peb New Member

Well, I will save a bit to get the DAC and the headphones. Thanks for the help

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014