New headphone advice

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by adriank2200, Apr 20, 2014.

1. adriank2200

adriank2200 New Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Dear experts,

I own a Koss Porta Pro which I used the past 2.5 years. They were OK, but now they're dead and I am looking for a new better sound. Could you please guide me or give me some advice?

What I look for:

1) a headset that reproduces all the frequencies at the same volume. Such a headset does not exist, I know.
    2) sound sources: my laptop's integrated Realtek HD 5.1 channel sound card and my Samsung Galaxy Gio which has a below average sound output
    3) I would prefer a closed back headset, but this is optional.
    4) maximum budget 100£. Budget is directly proportional to reliability. I know it is impossible to predict, but if the next pair is as reliable as my Porta Pros, then it's not worth buying. Ex: if the headset lasts 2 years, it should cost 20£; if it lasts 4 years, it should cost 65£, if it lasts more than 5 years, then it could be 90-100£, a higher price would probably make no sense to use on my audio sources.

What I don't look for:

The in-ear type. I tried 3 different in-ears and because of my ear channel shape, after just 15 minutes they become highly uncomfortable.

What I already tried:

The Koss Porta Pro has exactly the amount of bass I like, but it would be nice if the below 75 Hz would be more powerful, instead of the ~150Hz band. However I noticed that the singer's voice is lower than the rest of the sounds, so an eq is definitely needed (on laptop and phone).

I tried quite a few other headphones (besides no-names) with prices below and over the Porta Pro, here are a few:
    Senheiser PX100 - no
    Senheiser HD 202 - no
    Senheiser HD 205 - no, and the swivel didn't convince me :)
    Senheiser HD 239 and a 429 - I felt an emphasis on mids, so they have a warmer sound, the guitar was really clear, and the singer's voice was ok, but nothing below 100Hz.
    Sony ZX100 - muffeled highs
    and another similar Sony around 20£ - sound totally distorted with bass all over the place
    some Philips at around 14-20£ - good bass, low highs; some eq improved it a bit
    Steelseries Syberia v2 - this is the sound I am looking for (on my audio sources), but they are difficult to drive, because the highest volume my audio card and phone can produce is under my maximum volume I can listen to. There is also a bit more expensive variant which comes with an USB sound card which amplifies the sound.

a) If you have or tried a Siberia v2 can you share some thoughts?
    b) other suggestions for 100£ max?
    c) Would it make sense to just go for the Siberia v2 and not waste more time on looking for something else?

Thanks in advance for your patience!
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina