New headphone, Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10, Shure SE420 or Klipsch Custom 3

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ricjd, Oct 5, 2010.

1. ricjd

ricjd New Member

I've recently lost my SE420, which I'm absolutly gutted about. If they don't turn up in the house sometime soon, I need to look at buying a new pair.

I really liked my SE420, but thinking it may be nice for a change. Doing some research I've narrowed it down to the three above. But each one comes with a reason not to buy them:

Shure SE420: Had them before, so tempted to try something new

Klipsch Custom 3: Heard the bass is better than the SE420, but the mid and highs aren't as good. Even though I listen to rock music, I did like the clarity that the SE420 gave me and wonder if I'll miss this.

Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10: Bit more expensive, but do seem to be a lot more recommended than Klipsch and Shure. But they seem to protude from the ears more, and the foam sleeves are less comfotable than the ones you find on Shures (and can put on the Klipsh).

So does anyone have experaince with any, or all of these earphones?

Also if you think I'm over looking a pair of earphones then please let me know, and why you think I'm overlooking them.

Thanks for any advice.

Rick

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro, Shure SE420 or Klipsch Custom 3

The Shure SE420 and Klipsch Custom 3 are both end of life, so we are unable to get more stock.

The Klipsch Custom 3 is not a bad earphone, with plenty of power and top end sparkle. Overall the Shure SE420 is a more balanced earphone in my opinion.

The Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro would be my pick of the bunch. The Triple.fi 10 Pro has three balanced armature drivers and covers the whole audio range very capably. The only issue with this earphone is getting a good seal in the ear if you have smaller ear canals.

Another earphone well worth considering is the truly excellent Westone UM2. This is a dual driver earphone (like the Shure SE420) and is really impressive sounding. The fit is also super comfortable thanks to the way the earphone body and nozzle is shaped.

3. ricjd

ricjd New Member

thanks shaun

I've looked at the westfield and they look good. The reason I've picked the Kilpsch and Shure is because they are EOL, so hopefully can get a good deal some where.

I have been looking at the UE TripleFis A LOT. The only problem I can see is the size of them. As mentioned I had some SE420s, and used the medium foam earpieces. Any idea if my ear canals would be too small? Also how much do they poke out compared to the shures. I remember my shures poking out, but never enough to annoy me. But I've heard some reports that the TripleFi poke out a lot, and can come unseated easily. I guess this also relates to the size of your ear canals.

Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 PRO

The UE Triple.fi 10 Pro is a truly excellent earphone for the money. When you compare it to the cost of the other triple driver earphones they look a bit of a bargain. They do stick out more than most earphones, but I think they look pretty cool with their blue finish.

If you are using medium foam tips on the Shure SE420 then you will probably be absolutely fine. The Triple.fi 10 Pro comes with Comply Foam tips, which solves the fit problem for the vast majority of people.