New Headphones for £150

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Tsar, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Tsar

Tsar New Member

Hi,

So I am after some new headphones sometime in the future as I still haven't replaced my last pair which bit the dust.

Now to the fun bit, my music tastes:
    So my main music taste is anything from Queen to Creedence Clearwater Revival.

I listen to Vinyl, CD's and on Youtube.

My budget is around £100-£150 and UK buying would be great.

I have been recommended the Audio Technica ATH-900X's, What do you think of these?

I do not currently have an amp and have no plans to buy one nay time soon,

Thanks.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I would advise against the 900x direct from Japan unless you're convinced it's the only one for you. Very difficult and expensive to return. But that said, here's a list I've bought a few headphones from. If you could stretch to £179, the Soundmagic HP100 is the best sound I've heard below £250, and the AT A700x is a possibility. I've also bought the German Maestro 8.35D, ATH M50, and Beyer DT770, but the HP100 is way above those in comfort and sound quality, so something to consider.

Closed Back Headphones

3. Tsar

Tsar New Member

Hi,

I have looked at the Soundmagic headphones and while the reviews look good I am not to keen in there portable nature which from previous experiences means build quality is lacking.

Any other ideas?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I have both the HP100 and HP200, and the build quality is good. Did you mean some other Soundmagic beside those two?

5. Tsar

Tsar New Member

I was looking at the H100's.

What is the general opinion on the K550's?

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Headfonia has the ultimate review of the K550 with hundreds of comments. From all that I've heard, the sound can be very good, but the fit is extremely critical, and most users don't find a good fit.