New headphones needed to match music quality.

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by lucati, Mar 28, 2009.

1. lucati

lucati New Member

Well, I have just bought an iPod 120Gb, where most of the songs are in Apple Lossless format, but I want to upgrade to a better set of headphones, such as a good quality IEM. Only, there's one problem:

I tried my sister's set of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 recently and they just didn't fit! I even tried them with the foam tips, but I couldn't get them very far into my ears, subsequently they fell out after a few seconds. I tried several times, sometimes trying to force them in, others trying to twist them in, but nothing seemed to work. Does this mean my ear canal is just the wrong size/shape for IEM's?

So I'm a bit skeptical about whether IEM's are for me. Of course there are always the option of getting custom fitted earpieces (such as those provided by ACS), but right now that's not really within my budget.

Currently I have a pair of Sennheiser PX200's, which are pretty good, but they aren't comfortable to wear for long periods of time. I'm thinking about getting a pair of (non-IEM) ear buds, but I doubt there are any that will give the PX200 a run for its money sound-wise, especially in Apple Lossless format!

My budget will probably be anywhere up to around the £80 area, though it doesn't necessarily have to be that high. Ideally I'd like to get some IEM's, but the reality is that after my experience with the UE's, they might not be right for me. If anyone can offer up some advice on what to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphones for Apple Lossless format

Greetings lucati. Welcome to the forum.

You are the not only person to have problems with the fit of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro earphones. The earphone body is quite large and some people find problems getting a good fit. Normally the Comply Foam ear tips do the trick though. It can take a bit of time to get used to fitting them on your ears with the over the ear wiring, so it may be worth trying again.

The Klipsch Image X5 and Image X10's are two earphones that have solved the problem of fit almost entirely as they are very small. The Klipsch X10 in particular has a very slim earphone body and I've never had anyone report any issue getting a good fit and seal in the ear.

The sound quality of higher end IEMs like the ones above is dramatically better than earbud style earphones. In my opinion earbud style earphones are pretty awful for both fit and sound quality when compared with decent IEMs.

3. henders

henders New Member

Earphones for lossless audio

Yep, I have a pair of the Klipsch Image X10's and have to say I'm VERY pleased with them. You'll never pick up those horrible little white earbuds after trying the X10's :D

My girlfriend has quite small ears and found the X10's fit easily and stay in.

4. tallen3

tallen3 New Member

I have also had problems finding IEMs that suit me, just got the Klipsch Image X5 pair and I've been blown away by the difference they make. Always in the past I have used Sennheiser PX's varying types, but these X5's are such good quality I would recommend going the extra cost they're a great investment.