New IEMs & Portable Amp

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Rancid Badger, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Rancid Badger

Rancid Badger New Member

Earphones first:

I'm looking to replace my Klipsch Custom 3's, whilst I love the sound, they've seen better days.

I've been looking at the Shure SE535's, UE Superfi 10's or probably the Westone 4R's to replace them with, but had heard that QC on UE products had gone downhill (poor cables). Does anyone have any suggestions/recomendations?

Portable Amp:

I currently have a Fiio E7, which has worked admirably, but once again, it's time to move onwards & upwards, so I'm looking to upgrade to something better.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but in hindsight I'm not massively keen on the push button adjustments on the E7, I'd much rather have a good old fashioned "knob" to turn.

Whilst, I love the look/specs of the Fostex HP-P1, I really cant justify £550 on a portable amp & the 7hr run time is ratehr poor.

I had been considering the Graham Slee Voyager, iBasso D2 or RSA Predator, but I understand that the Voyager isn't rechargeable (and looks rather delicate/plasticky)? Can I use the 30pin dock connector on the iPhone to the USB port on the D2 / Predator & uitilise the onboard DAC? Any other recomendations?

I'm purely going to use the amp for driving earphones, my Audio Technica cans & helmet speakers from an iPhone 4S & iPad. But it must be rechargeable & small enough to confortably fit into a jacket pocket with my phone whilst I'm out on the bike - riding down to Portugal in June.

Apologies for the long post, any help will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

John

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The only portable iPod (iPhone, iPad) DACs are the CypherLabs AlgoRhythm (coming soon to HiFi Headphones!) and the Fostex HP-P1, the latter is also an amp. The Fostex HP-P1 (I already feel a bit silly writing this) is quite good value when you think about buying the Algorhythm and a suitable amp. If you are looking for a really nice amp for IEMs and maybe some full sized headphones too -

Just Audio uHA-120 Headphone Amplifier Anodised Silver (uHA120)
    £219.95

and surely this is the deal you were waiting for;)

Shure SE535 in Clear + Just Audio uHA-120
    £519.00

Seriously though, it is a very nice combo:)