New In-ear headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by yanivb, Aug 23, 2010.

1. yanivb

yanivb New Member

Hi Shaun/Robin,

Need your pro. advise.
    I own a Sen. CX300 II, using ipod nano mostly for GYM.
    at the very begining It was a decent upgrade from the regular earbuds that came alog with the player, however, as soon as you get use to it you feel like something is missing...
    I was wondering what would be the next level you would recommend, staying bellow $60.
    Also, I always felt that these sets of headphones isn't perfectely fitting my canals, so I have to push them to get a deeper bass - somehow annoying :(

Appreciate your response.
    Yaniv.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Yaniv,

The Sennheiser CX300 are a great inexpensive upgrade to the free iPod earphones, but now you have outgrown them.

There is a quite a gulf (pricewise) between really good budget earphones and more detailed, revealing and controlled earphones. By spending more you will get an increase in sound quality but also more choice of the general feel of the sound. Warm and bassy, bright and detailed - Which companies ideas about sound do you share? or describe the sound or EQ of your ideal headphone.

You mentioned liking big bass - Who are your 3 favourite Bands, Acts or Artists?

To step up past the budget ranges you will probably have to invest at least £100. Let me know your thoughts and I will recommend something.

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

One simple solution if you feel that the problem is with getting the CX300 earbuds to seal properly is to try Comply Foam ear tips. These ultra soft, heat reactive ear tips solve fit and seal problems for nearly any size/shape ear canal. They can transform quite unimpressive sounding earphones due to the perfect seal they create in the ear.

Just a thought before you go upgrading to more expensive earphones...

4. yanivb

yanivb New Member

Hi

Thank you for you prompt response.

Well, While I'm at the GYM I listen to the power stuff - mostely heavy metal and some electronic.other than that I like RnB, Jazz and some pop music as well.

I like a deeper EQ settings (low mids and higer bass and treble).do like deep bass as well.
    Music Format is MP3 320K CBR.
    The volume is set to max level and I do feel that I need more, is it the CX300 impedance or ipod limit or is it the isolation issue?

Thanks again.
    Yaniv.

5. RobinHiFi

If you have a recent Nano it may be the now quite limited output which can be solved with one of these -

Fiio E1 headphone amp - £17.95

But first have a look in the settings and if there is an option called "Sound Check" turn it off as it pointlessly limits the volume also adding a really strained annoying EQ.

Try moving your earphones around, try the larger tips - if there is a really positive effect it is probably a fit issue.

For a great balance, detail and bottom end power Westone UM1's are hard to beat, they even come with Comply Tips in the box. They are really a pro Audio on stage monitor (you can see Muse wearing them in this years Glasto footage) but make an awesome earphone.

6. yanivb

yanivb New Member

I have gone through some reviews and posts and narrowed down the choices to the following two IEM's:

Westone UM1
    Phonak Audéo PFE Perfect Bass 012

Following your recommendation based on my inputs the Westone are the perfect match,but can they sustain sweat during sport?
    I mentioned that I like Bass, low mids and higher treble this is mostely rock EQ alike.
    As for the Phonak, I noticed that these delivers a great details.

As you can see I need your final advise before I make my purchase.

Thanks,
    Yaniv.

7. RobinHiFi

Out of the two I would say that the Westones are a little tougher anyway. They are built for musicians to use them as on Stage monitors and musicians are a sweaty bunch!

The EQ probably suits your taste a little more also. I cannot see you disappointed with this choice!:)

8. yanivb

yanivb New Member

A new Pair of Westone

Hello,

Based on your recommendations I purchased the Westone UM1 a year ago.
    So far I'm very pleased.
    I use them 2 hours a day at the GYM, Isolation is perfect, the sound is clear and percise.
    Lately I began reading some reviews and liked the idea of getting a new pair.
    Till now I was focusing on the UM2 ,however, some reviews mentioned the W3 are better.
    Comparing the two made me even more confused than I was before - help.

Would like to get your opinion regarding those two and maybe your recommendation once again based on my former threads.

Appreciate your response.

Yaniv.

9. RobinHiFi

So this is Westone 3 versus UM2? Well the UM2 are very musical and pretty sounding, more lush than the UM1. Technically the Westone 3, as a triple driver, is the better earphone but not to everyone.

The Westone 3 is what a lot of people call Contemporary sounding, that is bigger at the bottom end with a big smile curve to the EQ. Better for Pop, RnB, Rap and Dance Music, well suited to contemporary Metal. They also work for anyone who likes a big smile curve EQ with tons of bottom end - they are what I would describe as exciting!

UM2 is a bit calmer but really work for pretty music like Acoustic or Classic Rock, Opera, Folk and all kinds of live performance.