New ipod cans for about £100

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Neil Taylor, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Neil Taylor

Neil Taylor New Member

I'm looking at replacing my sennheiser CX500s with a new set of headphone either in-ear or closed back over ear ones.

The main use for these will be for use at work in an open plan office so low noise leakage & sound isolation are important but not at the expense of sound quality

I'm thinking
    Beyerdynamic MMX101iE
    AKG K450
    Phonak Audeo PFE012
    Audio Technica ATH-M50 [blows the budget a bit]
    Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO [ditto budget]
    Sure SE215

Do you think comply tips are worthwhile for the IEMS, I do find my IEMs uncomfortable after a while

Any feedback or alternative suggestions would be welcome, whats happened to Sennheiser they seem to have vanished from best buy lists??

Thanks

Neil

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Neil

Sennheiser seem to have taken their eyes off the prize in a few catagories but I also think they have quite a strong image which is not quite as fun as a lot of the new brands that are coming through. They still make some great stuff but some of it has been bettered and the only way to overcome that is with great new products.

Comply tips work really well, they isolate better, stay in better and also feel more comfy than silicone tips. I always use them as one of my ear canals is slightly smaller so that neither the medium nor small tips fit. If the fit is not right you lose bass response or have an un-even sound.

In Ears leak less noise as they create less noise - the attenuation they offer is also impressive - this makes them a sensible choice, especially when you consider how portable they are.

Having said that, I love full sized headphones, they have a better, more realistic sense of space, this is most apparent in open back headphones which are not applicable here.

If you want a full size then the M50 are a great choice! To solve this problem with the best and easiest solution I would go for a PFE 012 and some Comply T-130.:D