New member from across the pond?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by RamblinE, Sep 17, 2012.

1. RamblinE

RamblinE New Member

Hello. Hope you guys don't mind if I come crash on in. I'm Evan. I live near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States and I love headphones. The list of headphones I regularly use include AKG K701, Grado SR60i, AKG K420, Bose AE2. I listen to either vinyl or digital. I have a Fiio E5 + Sansa Clip+ for on the go, an Audioengine D1 here at home and a Pioneer SA950 for running the K701s. I'm no where near content with the hardware and probably won't be for some time. I look forward to reading/posting here :D

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Welcome to the forum. Good to have someone as knowledgable and experienced as yourself here.

3. RamblinE

RamblinE New Member

Thanks Dale. I don't know about knowledgeable or anything, hahaha.

Just looking for a nice place to talk about 'phones. AK is too vintage usually and Headfi is just... too big.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Yes - this forum is different. There are quite a few people who sign in here for the first time to get buying advice, which is a great thing since most of them have some ideas already and need additional information. But for me it's also a possibility I could hand out bad advice (which I don't want to do), so I enjoy the opportunity to research the things people ask about, and get some new ideas for my own purchases.

Check out Marcus' reviews from Headfonics in the reviews section. I've worked with him on a lot of reviews and he really knows his stuff.

5. RamblinE

RamblinE New Member

How do you like Tyll from Inner Fidelity? IF is one of the first headphone review sites I ever stumbled across and I like the variety of stuff he covers.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Innerfidelity is a great resource, but watch out for the various "experts" who come and go there. Whatever Tyll says, I can run with it, but other persons that he vouches for just don't have the right stuff. Tyll has a broad perspective on most of what we deal with, but his contributors are too narrowly focused most of the time and their tests need to be balanced against a larger frame of reference. Maybe someday Tyll will have writers who can smooth all of that out and make a cohesive presentation, but in the meantime it's pretty much a one-man operation. Currently he's undertaking a big project to test amplifiers, and I wonder how much attention will be taken off of the headphones.

I made a point there recently about the spelling of brands and models of headphones in the master PDF file he issues every month, and got dissed for it. The point is that when searching a big PDF on ipad or iphone etc., which is very slow, the search really needs to return each item searched for, but the PDF algorithms don't work with approximate spellings in real time, so the headers for each major item have to be exact. And apparently the experts who dismissed the request don't ever search on portable devices, so they didn't understand my request at all? That's kind of an example of what I mean by experts - too narrowly focused.

7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi RamblinE

Hope you are liking the forum:) Sounds like you have been bitten badly by the headphone bug!

Please let me know if I can help you with anything.

8. RamblinE

RamblinE New Member

Thanks for the welcome RobinHiFi. Just hear to read, learn and participate where ever I can.

9. AnnaReviewer

AnnaReviewer New Member

Hi RamblinE

I am Anna. I am new member too. Not much else to say really. Look forward to interacting with everyone.

10. KLHUihGYBUH

KLHUihGYBUH New Member

I am new member too. I'm Zena.

11. TonyW

TonyW Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Zena, happy to have you on board...:)

12. Custom Headphones

Custom Headphones New Member

wish i could have that set of headphones