new member!

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by ianmedium, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ianmedium

ianmedium New Member

Hello folks. I have been looking for a headphone forum based in the UK or at least Europe and from what I can see this one is which is great. I am from England but have been living in Canada since 1999 and am returning to Europe to live next year and can't wait!

I have been into headphones since getting my first Sony Walkman cassette player back at the beginning of the eighties ( so yes, I am an old sod! :) ) progressed through the ranks of Sony portable players I had their first CD player, their first mini disc and their first MP3! Up till that point I had used the stock earphones and a pair of gently ageing Sennheiser HD414's

Things started to change rapidly when I found I could use lossless files on an iPod so that I could get great copies of my CD collection (over 500 CD's ripped to wav and counting!) From that iPod came forums and ways of improving the sound so that I am now at a place where I have a great sound from a little stack of electronics and some lovely headphones. I prefer a warmer tube ( I guess I should get back into the habit of calling them valves!) sound though have a solid state amp at the moment but am saving for a new portable tube amp from Japan.

My electronics are the 7th Gen classic, Cypherlabs Algorythm solo, Ray Samuels Audio SR71-B.

Headphones are: Audeze LCD2 Rev1, Etymotic ER4S, VICTOR FX-500, Final Audio Design Heaven S and last but not least, my favourites of the bunch, Final Audio Design Piano Forte IX which have to be heard to be believed, truly life and game changing earphones!

Music, well I have a pretty broad church of music but at a push Wagner (I have two complete ring cycles on my classic at all times!) Americana, especially bluegrass and roots and then the usual suspects for a man of 49!

Hopefully the two photos show up as this is my first time posting, first one is of my set up with the heavens and LCD's and second the PF's!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking and I look forward to participating more!

Cheers.
    Ian

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Welcome to the forum. Have you heard Fischer-Dieskau's 1990 Mahler songbook? Des Knaben Wunderhorn....

3. ianmedium

ianmedium New Member

Hello Dale, thanks for the welcome, do you have a youtube channel and a Uboat watch, if so I follow and enjoy your channel!

I don't have that Mahler though I have several Boulez Mahler recordings, I will check out the one you mention though!

Edit, well this is a must have recording. I am a fan of Bohm, have the live 67 ring cycle so will order this one, thank you for the recommendation!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Fischer-Dieskau sings those songs as though he were Frank Sinatra doing New York New York, swag and all. Very enjoyable.

Yep - it's me on Youtube. The older videos have lower video quality, but the German Maestro and Soundmagic HP100 came from hifiheadphones UK (and possibly a couple other headphones).