New User here.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by mj1105, Aug 5, 2012.

1. mj1105

mj1105 New Member

Evening all, a question to start my time here if I may, does it make any difference the manufacturers of the source going into the headphone amp as well as the make of headphone? ie I'm using a Moon cd(no socket) and sennheisser hd580s for my private listening.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

What are you plugging the 580 into now?

3. mj1105

mj1105 New Member

Laptop or my ipod, hence the question, or move the hifi into a different room than the telly, but I can't see that happening.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I was wondering about that "Moon CD", whatever that is. But if you have a laptop computer, the next step up would be a DAC plus headphone amp. The thing to note is (and it can get tricky trying to track these things down), there's a whole new generation of small DACs and amps that have very high performance but are amazingly small. And the manufacturers don't call them headphone amps most of the time for technical reasons that most of us don't really care about. And don't let the smallness fool you - they run off of the laptop USB and replace the laptop's sound card. One tiny little box with USB cable and you get a more hi-fi sound. With a laptop and tiny DAC and headphones I don't think you would be restricted to where you go in relation to the TV.

So here's one of those now, usable with ipod alone or laptop computer:
    FiiO E17 Alpen Portable Headphone Amplifier & USB DAC (E-17)

If any of this doesn't answer your question, just reply here.

Edit: How any of this works with the existing hi-fi depends on the inputs and outputs it has, but I like to think the computer has more flexibility because you can rip any CD or download hi-res tracks and then play them through a good DAC.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  5. mj1105

mj1105 New Member

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Both items you have appear to be very high quality and expensive, Moon Audio being the high-tech brand that it is. I'm very surprised to not see a headphone output from either the CD player or integrated amp.

Here are some fine headphone amps that should accept the Line Out signal from either the CD player or integrated amp. Better to connect to the CD player if possible, using a high quality short cable, to get the best quality sound.

The best of these that I know of are the Lehmann Audio Black Cube, followed by either of the Graham Slee, followed by the Musical Fidelity M1. I know several people using the Burson amp, but those are new purchases so time will tell how that works out.

Desktop Headphone Amplifiers