Next upgrade for canned listening pleasure (Grado SR325is)

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by theSC00BZ, Nov 10, 2010.

1. theSC00BZ

theSC00BZ New Member

Hey Guys,

Earlier this year I decided to update my audio listening pleasure and buy the Grado SR325is with Graham Slee Voyager amp. Currently I'm running the following:

Apple Lossless > iPod(3g) > iBasso CB07 line out > Graham Slee Voyager > Grado SR325is

This has been my first and only rig for better listening and I was amazed at the difference in sound quality; now I am keen to upgrade :) In summary, I have a budget of perhaps £500 ($800 USD) at a stretch and would like to know what would give me the most significant increase of listening bliss :)

It doesn't have to be postable (I could keep my existing setup for that), but I would ideally like to keep my Grados. Maybe a different amp would be best? (RA-1 or Graham Slee Solo? - not tried any). Perhaps switching out the iPod and running a usb from my computer to an external DAC?

Any ideas that would boost this setup would be greatly welcome!

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I love Grado and also have the fantastic Grado SR325is. Do not buy the RA-1 - I'm not going to have a dig at it here but if you google it and read technical info on it you will find out why.

For £500 I would recommend the excellent

Musical Fidelity M1 HPA Premium Class A Headphone Amplifier
    £499.00

Several reasons for this - it is detailed but warm and works well with the very detailed 325is. A very detailed clean amp like the Graham Slee Solo combines with a bright headphone to be a bit too much (the Solo is much brighter than the Voyager) and the Musical fidelity amp is a bit calmer. Also it has a superb DAC function making it a bit of a bargain (obviously only for those with £500 to spend) as many similar price and quality amps do not have a Digital Analogue Converter on board.

3. theSC00BZ

theSC00BZ New Member

I just ordered one, along with a Kimber Ag USB cable... This has blown my budget somewhat, but I'm assuming it will be one of those (#) year purchases...

Thanks for the heads-up. You were right about the Grado's + Voyager amp earlier this year, so I'm trusting you on this one ;)

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Exciting stuff! I hope you love it!:)