Nice dilemma about open back headphones for music and gaming

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by wellington, Nov 19, 2010.

1. wellington

wellington New Member

Hi there, I was wondering if you could help me. Being lucky enough to have some money to spend, I am thinking about buying either the Audio Technica AD700 /AD900, Beyerdynamic DT880 or the Sennheiser 595s from your store. Seeing I do not really have a chance to audition the phones I was wondering if you could answer a few questions about them.

1. I like the idea of an airy head phone with controlled bass but out of the AT's or DT880 which has the punchier bass, or deeper bass.

2. Purely for gaming on the Xbox 360 is it worth the extra outlay buying the AD900's or the DT880's or would this be overkill considering the source.

3. Out of the Ad900's and the DT880's which has the more open sound stage and which has the more accurate sound stage?

Sorry for all the questions and many thanks in advance.

Mike

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Mike -

Great questions - I'm loving the DT880's 32ohm for this application. They are more solid on the for aggressive gaming whilst being fantastically comfy.

I'm recommending the 32ohm version as the 250ohm version is a little difficult to drive (you will need an amp) but you could use the 32ohm from any device.

Open backs suit gaming brilliantly - the sense of space and natural feel to the sound is a winning combination - but they also suit watching films and the DT880's have an amazingly natural sound stage that gives a vivid 3D perspective. They are also one of my favourite music headphones feeling vital yet uncoloured.

1. Both headphones are airy and really quite pretty sounding with really crisp detailed highs, the mids can feel a little un-natural in the AD900's but they have their own thing going on which makes opera and classical sound huge. The DT880's have the most neutral linear sound but are not boring in the least and also give the deepest most affecting bass note.

2. Purely for gaming is it worth spending this much? Possibly not - but it depends how seriously you take your gaming. The quality of audio from video games is exceptionally high these days (24bit audio on PS3) and gaming in headphones unlocks the time and attention games creators go to to get this sound perfect.

Are you telling me that you will not use them for music and film? I think you would probably find it more difficult to stop using them Also either of these headphones is likely to outlast your next two consoles so they do represent good value for money.

3. Sound stage - It is very broad and feel a little too voluminous for me on the AD900 - this is not a negative, in fact it is one of their best selling features, I'm not a big Opera fan but they almost converted me last time a customer fired up some Mozart through these. For gaming and audio in general the DT880's just have a more realistic feel I think, but this is my opinion and both are so good the fans of these two could argue this for ages.

Hope that helps:)

3. wellington

wellington New Member

Thanks for great answers!

Thanks you for your help, it is especialy true that what ever headphones I buy will last at least 2 console generations. And, as I am not likely to be buying the Xbox 720 (or what ever it is called?) very soon it is worth splashing that extra cash on the Dt880s! Many thanks for your help. Cheers, Mike