Noob advice please

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Rat1sully, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Rat1sully

Rat1sully New Member

Apologies up front for asking a question you've almost certainly been asked 100 times before but having recently left my mp3 player in a hire car (I do a lot of travelling on public transport too) at work I need some new headphones.

Budget £50 absolute max as I'm still dealing with moving costs

I mostly listen to rock ranging from the mellow things like Fleetwood Mac and Dire Straits through to much heavier stuff like In Flames Disturbed etc. but i do occasionally listen to 90s house and trance when at the gym (not very often at all)

I've previously been buying the Sennhisser Cx range as the L/XL? ear buds fit exactly right but i've got fed up of trying to find the real ones from the fakes and have been told that I'd be recommended much better sound quality from here so i look forward to hearing from you

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

If you like it warm and Bass heavy go for these -

SoundMAGIC E10 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones Black & Red
    £34.99

If you want a more neutral feel but with pucnhy bass and a bit of warmth still -

SoundMAGIC E30 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones in Black (E 30)
    £40.00 (over ear fit to the cable!)

For something a bit different (flat cables) have a look at these -

Jays a-JAYS Three In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones in Black
    £39.95

My preference soundwise is for the E10 which sounds really fun like an improved CX300II.:)

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Headphone

I tested the large and small beats at the Apple store. The large beats had a huge midrange emphasis around 250 hz that was NOT fixable by iPod EQ, so I rejected the large beats.

The small beats was bassy and unbalanced, and while bass reduction EQ helped it to some extent, I still did not find a satisfactory EQ setting to make the small beats anywhere near as good as the Bose. So I also rejected the small beats.

If a person wants a headphone they will actually listen to, which has a high fidelity sound, they should look elsewhere.

5. Rat1sully

Rat1sully New Member

Thank you Robin, I think as I'm used to bass driven sound and they're the cheapest there I'll give the E10s a try