Novice User Help Please

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by chipper1378, Jun 19, 2013.

1. chipper1378

chipper1378 New Member

Hello all,

I am by no means an expert on headphones, and I probably can't tell the difference between the good/great/incredible ones anyway. That being said, I do know when a pair sounds better than my Apple earbuds...

I used to have the Beats Studios, but I'm in the market for a new pair. I've heard countless times that I can buy headphones that are "twice as good for half the price," but I didn't realize how many were on the market. It's a tad overwhelming.

I listen to a wide variety of music as does seemingly everyone else, though I tend to stick to rap and rock (not hardcore), and I don't listen to techno, dubstep, house, heavy metal or any of that.

In my hunt for headphones, comfort and sound quality are key. I want them to be very comfortable and sound good to my novice ears (that requirement won't be hard to satisfy). They must be over-ear (not earbuds or on-ear). I'll be using them at home and while I'm walking to class, so nothing too extreme. I suppose I'd prefer closed vs. open for less noise leakage. I don't know much about noise-cancelling or wireless technologies and if they take away from sound quality, but if they don't and they don't jack up the price they seem like cool add-ons. I'm looking to spend $200-250 US dollars, though I can go up to $300 if it's absolutely necessary - I doubt it will be, as I can't see how the extra $50-100 will improve quality to the point that my inexperienced ears can tell the difference.

My fate is in your hands. Thank you!

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

This will be perfect - adjustable bass and all - one of the most prestigious manufacturers too. Don't look at the price shown here with VAT included - that will be subtracted out when shipped to the U.S. Any more questions?

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Closed Back Studio Headphones

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Dale is a better guy to tell you where the price break is that makes the most difference in $USD. In £GBP you suddenly get a big improvement at £120 to £150 - You start to see titanium plated and 55mm drivers, things that really make a difference to the sound in definition and quality.:)

Where is that price break in the States Dale?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Chipper here had a pretty good guess, about $250 USD.

5. chipper1378

chipper1378 New Member

Thanks!

Wow thanks guys. These headphones look pretty sweet. I've researched them a fair bit and they seem to fit all of my requirements and they're not too pricey. Some reviews claim they aren't extremely comfortable and aren't very portable since they dont fold. The portable part shouldn't be a problem because I can just throw them in my bag. And, for the most part, every review claims that sound quality and comfort both increase tremendously once they're broken in.

These are #1 on my list as of now, though that's solely because they have been the only ones suggested. Does anyone else have any other options I should consider?

Greatly appreciated all!

Also, how difficult is it to customize the COP's outer earcups, and is there anywhere to buy style kits online?

Thanks again.

6. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member