Occlusion Issues - A Possible Answer?

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Lauri Cular, May 10, 2017.

1. Lauri Cular

Lauri Cular Well Balanced

For those wondering what this is, stick your fingers in your ears and hum. Loud isn't it? this is an effect which affects wearers of sealing in-ear headphones or monitors (IEMs) and has the effects of amplifying the voice, footfalls whilst walking, or the cable bouncing against the body. More than a few people have rejected the idea of using in-ears for this reason.

Digging around for information on this in-ear problem, I found an interesting titbit relating to hearing aids but is still relevant; I wonder if anyone has tried this?

https://starkeypro.com/pdfs/sas/A-Forgotten-Technique-For-Resolving-The-Occlusion-Effect.pdf

It involves creating ear moulds with an additional vent in order to release the unwanted low frequencies generated. It will have an effect on isolation, but would the benefits outweigh the costs?

The Dunu Titan model is very well vented and isolation is low, but the vents/holes in that model direct sound energy to the concha (bowl) and create the impression of a wider soundstage. I just wonder if this can be incorporated into custom moulds for IEMs?

2. Oscar Stewart

Oscar Stewart Administrator Staff Member

Lauri Cular likes this.