on-ear headphones for trips

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by hatecrew1992, Dec 17, 2011.

1. hatecrew1992

hatecrew1992 New Member

hi,
    I am searching for on-ear headphones which i can use on the bus or train, so isolation would be rather importaned to me.
    For now I found three differen models:
    - V-Moda M-80
    - Beyerdynamic T50p
    - B&W P5

so I wanted to know what you think about these and maybe give me some advice,
    many thanks

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

You like metal and Dubstep. There is a very helpful V-Moda Review here courtesy of the very knowledgeable Dale Thorn.

I think the T-50p is a much better headphone, soundwise, than the very good looking P5. It has better control of the bottom end and more detail too! T50p are trully superb for their size, if portability is really important then that might seal the deal.

I guess that means that the choice is one of size as well as sound signature:)

3. hatecrew1992

hatecrew1992 New Member

thanks for the fast reply,

I had a chance to test the P5 for quite some time today and have to say that, though their isolation is very good and they are rather comfy, I was disappointed by theirs sound, especially for that price tag.

At the moment I favor the Beyerdynamic, since I really like my DT880 and I think the T50p wouldn´t let me down, but after reading the review I´m not sure if the M-80 might not be the better choice.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me something like an comparison, especially the difference in isolation would be something important

many thanks,
    hatecrew1992

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

On-ear choices

Robin had a good suggestion. The M-80 and T50p should be comparable in isolation, with an edge to the T50p. But the Beyerdynamic has a higher quality sound overall with greater detail. The cups of the M-80 are very small, and being a closed headphone it gets a little bit congested. I can't say that the T50p is better for the price since it costs more, but in that case at least you do get what you pay for.

5. hatecrew1992

hatecrew1992 New Member

thank you for the information dalethorn and I also have to thank you for the amazing review you wrote about the M-80. I will get both of them for testing before I make my desicion since the price difference is not exactly small

6. hatecrew1992

hatecrew1992 New Member

hi guys, just wanted to let you know that after some time with the M-80 and the T50p I decided to keep the M-80. The reason for this is that, when listening to mp3, the difference isn´t strong enough, at least not with the music I normally listen to. I have to add here that the T50p are superior headphones in just abut any aspect, but this difference is only really obvious when listening to lossless music. The M-80 performe more than well enough with my typ of musik and I also think that they are more practical with their changeable cable.

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Good info

Thanks for that good info. Other persons who want to pay extra for extra quality will appreciate your help. I myself also find the M80 good enough for portable use.