On-Ear Headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by TheNameIsJambo, Jun 27, 2012.

1. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo New Member

Hey guys,

I've been swithering between buying the Audio Technica ATH-ES55 and Audio Technica ATH-ES7.

EDIT
    The reason behind buying these is that I've landed a new job, and will probably be doing a fair bit of travelling; both internationally and from site->site. Rather than taking my Beyer DT770s or SRH840s [which are huge], I'd rather take something I can easily drop into a carry-pouch and into a suitcase/holdall.

On that note - I'll probably need a few defining features: Comfort + Small form + Isolation.
    /EDIT

I've wanted either of these cans for some time now, and I've heard a few different things:

ATH-ES55
    • Physically smaller than ES7 [40mm driver] - More portable, less impact in sound and less isolation?
    • You can hear the bass, rather than feel it; they have a more accurate sound/better sound-stage than the ES7?
    • More comfortable than the ES7.

ATH-ES7
    • Massive 42mm driver - Wider soundstage & more accurate frequency response [the 2mm can make the difference] + You can feel the bass.
    • They clamp on your head - Stretch them over a shoebox?
    • Better than the ES55 for isolation.
    • The mirrored look is amazeballs.
    I've bought from you blokes before, and have had nothing but good service - Plus you know your headphones; inside and out! (Obviously!)

I was wondering what your take on both of the above is, and which would be 'better' in respect to sound... Or if you could give me a brief V.S style description.

I don't want to buy them both :laugh: But I will I have to! :eek:

EDIT:
    What I'm slightly worried about is that I've been using studio headphones for so long, that 'hifi' style headphones won't match up - Maybe I should just take my Shure cans along for the long haul?

Also, if there are other headphones which are better than the above (without being stupidly expensive) then I'll probably go for those.

I would consider IEMs, but I really don't like the 'plug' effect in my ears... Feels like a pressure build-up, and I don't like it :( - Yes, I am a sissy girl.

I got a new S3 the other day, and I used the IEMs that came with, they were good enough at isolation and did the job of producing sound [albeit dull and completely lifeless], but I kept adjusting them and having to pop them out every 10-15 minutes to let my ears 'breathe' lol.

Thanks in advance guys,
    Jamie.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

You are going to take a little drop in quality and accuracy but this is probably worth it for the practical benefits whilst travelling. Although I think the ATH-ES7 probably pips the ATH-ES55 to the post on quality it is by a small margin and I find the ES55 much more comfortable as the clamping pressure is much less. Quite a lot of customer experience bares this out, several of us at Hifi Headphones have ES5s which I guess is a good recommendation and their smaller size definitely suits the useage - it is nice to be able to recommend the cheaper of two units too!:D

Don't let me put you off the ES7 altogether though as they are nice - both have a warm smooth feel closer to the SRH840 than the DT770.

Hope the new job is going well Jamie.

3. TheNameIsJambo

Many thanks Robin!

It's strange to see staff recommending cheaper stock ;) But I've always appreciated the honesty on here, and you always recommend the 'best' headphones for the situation.

The ES5's are the discontinued line aren't they? They're even smaller than the ES55? (Like Sennheiser PX100/200?)

I'd rather take the ES55's superior comfort to that of the ES7's extra 2mm of diameter, to get some extra bass, and put my pinna's through a life of pain.

Thanks much mate - I start on 09/07. Got A LOT of training to go through. Have my medical next week, offshore training the week after and 3 weeks after that I'll find myself in Norway :eek:

4. TheNameIsJambo

Hey Robin, bit of an update - I opted for the AKG K450s!

They were a total shot out of the dark, I read a few reviews and was sold on what I'd heard. They seem like a solid set of cans. Especially since their huge price drop [discontinued model]. What a steal.

Unfortunately, you guys don't stock them so I had to cheat and go elsewhere (Amazon-SuperFi) :( Don't look at me!

However, I will be buying the ES55, especially once I start my new job! Having more than 1 set of headphones is handy anyhow - As the Mrs can use them too.