Open back £120 to spend!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Frosty, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty New Member

After some more help please. I guess I am looking at the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, the Grado sr80i or Sennheiser 595, all of which seem to be very good, but seem to offer a different listening experience. I guess I am looking for a pretty good all rounder.
    They are for use at home, listening to anything from Led Zep, Black Sabbath and Van der Graaf to folk, country, choral, classical, in fact most things you can think of including electronica. I have an Audiolab 8000a amp and a Marantz KI signature CD player at the moment, although they may well get used with the mp3 player and Fiio E5 amp. They are not for computer listening or gaming.
    I am slightly worried that the Grado's may give a fatiguing sound (noted in some reviews) and am heading toward the Audio Technicas (although someone did say there was sibilance on the vocals). Unfortunately i am having big problems trying to find anywhere to try these so am a bit nervous spending this amount of money on something which may not be the right thing.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Frosty

HD595 has been retired by Sennheiser - replacement is the HD598, warm and smooth, typical Sennheiser stuff. It makes it harder to pick headphones if your tastes are eclectic, spanning strange and disparate genres. Headphones invariably have a bit of a leaning to the brighter or darker end of the spectrum, this is a good way to choose as the sound should be comfortable to you. If you are worried about Grado sounding fatiguing then you should probably look elsewhere. Audio Technica AD700 are comfy with a very spacious sound, although some say they lack intensity they really do feel big and bright without being fatiguing. Does this sound right to you?:)

3. Frosty

Frosty New Member

Hi Robin

Looking at the HD 598's I think they are out of my range anyway.
    Strange and disparate...... that seems about right!
    Sounds like the AD700's are the ones for me and within budget.
    Thanks for the advice, now where's that card?

4. RobinHiFi

:DAD700's are great - Very hard to pick fault with such a clear and clean headphone, excellent sound stage and not at all fatiguing. They are even really comfy!

5. Frosty

Frosty New Member

Ordered them last night...due to arrive tomorrow ...............watch this space!

6. Frosty

Frosty New Member

Hi Robin,

You've done it again! Sat here writing this with my AD700's which arrived from you this afternoon.
    Straight out of the box they are sounding great and feeling comfortable too.
    They sounded fantastic with Bellowhead, really picking out the mix of instruments and Massive Attack are sounding pretty good at the moment as well. The sound stage is amazing.
    Sorry, far too many superlatives, I have never had an expensive (for me) pair of Headphones before and I really am that pleased with them. :)

Thanks again

7. RobinHiFi

Really glad you like them so much!:)