Open to closed back?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Wil, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

Hi there,

I'm currently using a pair of Grado 80i, which I love the sound of, through my iPod classic and Fiio e7 but I'm going to be working now in an open plan environment with lots of folks around me and although I don't play stuff excessively loud I'm a little worried that I'm going to get on everyone's nerves. So I'm looking at an upgrade to maybe a closed back headphone that'll give me as much pleasure as the Grados have. I'm not expecting the exact same sound but I do like the kind of signature the sr80s have.

Or are there other open-back phones that maybe don't leak quite as much? I like the look of the Sennheiser HD650s and that's sort of upper limit of my budget.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Open to closed

In that price range are several from Beyer, Denon, Shure, Audio-Technica and German Maestro. Probably the best of any of those brands in that range would please a Grado user.

Closed Back Headphones

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Beyerdynamic DT880 32ohms are pretty similar in many ways but a little more restrained than the Grado assault - I love the Grados but the DT880 are more comfy, less fatiguing,, just as easy to drive and leak a bit less noise.:)

4. Wil

Wil New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I must admit that I'm leaning towards a closed back even if I sacrifice a little 'sparkle' for want of a better term. What are your thoughts on something like the Ultrasone 900s or the Denon AH-5000s?

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Denon or Ultrasone

I would buy a Denon - guaranteed smooth sound - not sure about Ultrasone.