Opinion on Sony EX500s?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by kamranh3, Aug 17, 2011.

1. kamranh3

kamranh3 New Member

I can't seem to make up my mind when it comes to headphones, I have the SoundMagic PL50s and already I have doubts, Sony EX500s seem pretty good, what's your opinion?

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

We all hear the world differently and alongside our different experiences and tastes it is hard to see how anybody agrees, opinion wise, on any audio products.:D

Although I think the PL-50 are superb for Classical music, with a crazy amount of detail for the price, they do not really work as well for Contemporary tunes. Certainly the EX500 are definitely more bass heavy with a Contemporary feel - The Equivalent SoundMAGIC earphone to compare would be the very cool new SoundMAGIC E10, which is bass heavy and really fun sounding with an impressive hold on detail and real control over the bottom end.

3. kamranh3

kamranh3 New Member

And E30s don't sound the same as E10s I'm assuming?

4. RobinHiFi

The SoundMAGIC E30 has a more linear kind of sound - less bass and slightly more forward mids with a bit more emphasis on the detail rather than bottom end power.

5. kamranh3

kamranh3 New Member

So if I were to put my price limit at £60 then these are what you would go for?

6. RobinHiFi

Yes I would go for a E30 as the fit and shape (small cable up design) and the sound are pretty much perfect for me - I always use Comply tips with earphones as well, better isolation and they don't work their way out of my ears like silicone tips.

7. kamranh3

kamranh3 New Member

Sorry if I'm annoying you now, I'm just not keen to get the E30s, they feel like a downgrade to me, if I pushed it to £70-80, what then? And this will be my last question, can't keep al the help to myself :p

8. RobinHiFi

The only way you could annoy me is to post spam all over the forum so I have to tidy it all up :)

Klipsch Image S4 Sound Isolating Earphones in Black
    £69.95

Beyerdynamic DTX 101iE In-Ear Isolating Headphones in Silver
    £69.95

If that is what you want to spend then these are your options from the sound you described previously that you like.

I really do believe the SoundMAGICs compete audio wise though, so do quite a few reviewers -

SoundMAGIC E10 review - Accessory Reviews - Know Your Mobile

This is about the E10 but the E30 are their more neutral sister headphone.

"But the main draw for the E10’s, besides the truly awesome racket they produce, is the price tag. We literally just can’t get our head around why these things are so cheap. But how cheap is so cheap? Well, it’s pretty cheap: £34.99.

Even more so when you compare the price of the E10’s to some of the competition, such as the Phonak Audéo PFE 012 Earphones (£100), Grado GR10 Earphones (£300+) and, of course, our old favourites, the V-Moda Cross Fades, which pretty much match any of the above on Sound Quality in our opinion - well, maybe not the Grado GR10s but nothing’s perfect."