Over or in ear? ideally with replaceable cable

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by andyxxx, Mar 7, 2012.

1. andyxxx

andyxxx New Member

Hi

I am wanting to purchase new headphones with a budget of £100 to £120
    They will be used solely for use with my i-phone listening to a cross section of music, but largely light rock and sometimes while doing exercise. Can be open or closed back

I have never owned in ear (but only cos the boxed apple freebies never stop in my ear and it has made me apprehensive to purchase any)

So here is my 3 main criteria:

1. In ear - if there are any that stay in the ear and feel comfy.
    I noticed the bose MIE2i that have an extra bit of plastic that may help keep them in place - any other suggestions?

2 Over ear (prefer over than on) Tried the Grado SR80i - which sound good to me but they are on ear and as stated, I would prefer over. Also tried the Sen HD 25 II which are supposed to be over (but are on) and though I liked the sound, thought the build quality was suspect. Any others I should look at?

3 My last two pairs of headphones have been thrown in the bin cos the jack connection has gone faulty, so i would ideally like a set with a detachable/replaceable cable. (do any in ear have this option?)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Over or in

I can't give you the answers you want the most, but here are a couple tips (no pun intended). If you get in-ears, look up alternate tips like the 'comply' (I think that's it) set, so you can customize the fit. I think one of the regulars here knows the deal.

Tip #2 is about the replaceable cable. My VModa M-80 failed, but the jack in the left earcup failed, so none of my cables would address the problem, so that was a two week wait for that repair. My feeling is that replaceable cables probably don't increase reliability, unless they're designed like the Sennheiser 600 series or the new Shure 1840/1440 series.

3. andyxxx

andyxxx New Member

Thanks for the comply suggestion - if i go down the in ear option, will take a look.