Pair of neutrals under £100

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by charlie121, Sep 26, 2012.

1. charlie121

charlie121 New Member

Hi, I'm new to this audiophile world, have not tried many headphones, but am very fond of it.

I am planning to buy a set of new headphones mainly for monitoring. I would be going for a closed back.

My main aim is to find a pair headphones with good detail and clarity (or being able to separate different instruments, pinpointing them?) and also a neutral sound signature. I will be using them to listen to symphonies and concertos, also possibly some live performances.

The catch is that since I'm now a student, my budget is pretty tight.

I have shortlisted a few headphones from my research.
    -KRK KNS 8400 (details and neutrality)
    -Sony MDR V-600/7506 (from being a pair of common studio monitors)
    -ATH M-50 (lots of recommendations)
    -Shure SRH440/840 (neutrality, not sure about details)
    -Sennheiser HD 280 pro
    -Any others?

I'd like to hear opinions of the community on the comparisons of the headphones, if they are good or appropriate for my purpose.

Thank you.

PS I've also read another thread on a recommendation of the GMP 8.35d but I would really like to keep my budget below £100.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

If the ATH M50 is getting lots of recommendations on detail, clarity, and neutrality, I'd find a new source for recommendations. I bought a new white M50, and while I like it for some music, it is anything but those three things.

The GMP 8.35D is close to neutral but a bit dark. The Soundmagic HP100 is closer to neutral, but more expensive than the 8.35D. The Beyerdynamic 770 Pro is good for a lot of purposes but not really neutral. The Shure 940 is very close to neutral if a tiny bit bright, but again, more expensive.

I don't know if any of the KRK's or Sonys below £100 get close to neutral, but if they show up on Tyll's master PDF of test curves at Innerfidelity, you might be able to check that document.

3. charlie121

charlie121 New Member

Well, ATH M50s generally as far as studio monitors and listening pleasure have been pretty lauded for their value for money. That's why I placed them up for consideration. I guess they fall short of clarity for my purposes then.

I've seen the KRK and Sony's test curves on innerfidelity but have no idea on how to interpret them. The Sony's FR are very flat in mid range, and as far as I've heard, that causes recessed mids? The Sony's FR and KNS 6400's FR are surprisingly similar, but the KNS 8400 has a slight bump before the midrange.

I also found the Sennheiser HD280s online as another viable competitor. >.<

Actually I'm not really sure what I am talking about, but I've not anywhere to go to try these headphones (most have sennheisers and beats, also bose only), hence making my decision on which to get that much harder.

I'm pondering if there are any other headphones that I can consider? At this rate, I think I might go for a KNS 8400, but would like additional opinions before making a final decision.

Also, just as an additional thought, how does the GMP 8.35d compare to Shure 940 in terms of resolution and clarity? Which would you prefer?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I empathize on choices. The only place I get to see headphones is the Apple store. But that could be a blessing in saving me money. The KRK 8400 could be a good bet - if you hear that 150 hz hump as too warm or bassy, EQ'ing that down with Foobar2000 or the equivalent would be simple and effective. The Sony V600 doesn't look good, but the 7506 has a good reputation for DJ's or engineers - don't know how that sounds with hi-fi gear. The Sennheiser HD280 looks really good. The GMP 8.35D -vs- SRH940 is a classic contrast, with the 8.35D being slightly darker than neutral and the 940 being slightly brighter than neutral. I can recommend both for general-purpose hi-fi music listening. I never felt the urge to apply any EQ to the 8.35D, but I did work out a simple non-permanent mod to dampen the highs slightly on the 940. By dampen, I don't mean reduce treble. Proper damping is what the manufacturers do to reduce the effect of resonance peaks.

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I don't really like telling people to spend more but there is a big jump between what you get for £100 and £150. Under £100 it is very hard to make something which really nails it - £100 -£150 is a better value pricepoint, remember, decent full size cans last up to 20 years so get something you know you will enjoy so you don't end up upgrading in a years time.