PFE 012 or IMAGE S4 ???

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by gopikrsna925, Dec 29, 2010.

1. gopikrsna925

gopikrsna925 New Member

Hi friends,
    I am new here and could I ask your help in deciding one of the above In ear phones to buy. I had Senn CX 300 II earphones for 6 months and want to buy better ones. They were good upgrade for my Ipod ear phones but I find they had heavy bass (unclear) and I couldn't listen to music for longer periods.

Now that I also have a new HTC HD7 with great SRS enhancement I want to upgrade to new earphones. My interests and considerations are below:
    - Listen to electronic, dance, hiphop and r&b music
    - Love proper rich bass in right time (Not bass head)
    - Listen to 320kbps cbr mp3 songs
    - Budget £100
    - Noise Isolating

I understand sound quality is subjective, but by rich bass I mean a clear deep bass. I have narrowed my selection to Phonak Audeo PFE 012 and Klipsch Image S4. Both have got excellent reviews which confuses me a lot. I think PFE 012 is good but not sure.

Please suggest me one of the above or any other nice earphones.

2. gopikrsna925

gopikrsna925 New Member

Anybody there???

Decision made:
    Just ordered Phonak Audeo PFE 012 from your site!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  3. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo New Member

Hey man,

I can't answer your question as I pretty much despise in-ear headphones although I can tell you where 'everyone' is.

The forum/site admin is currently on holiday, until the 8th. I wouldn't of expected a professional reply from him before then. It's Xmas + New Year afterall.

Cheers,
    Jamie.

4. gopikrsna925

gopikrsna925 New Member

Hi Jamie,
    I thought somebody else will be monitoring the forum as in everywhere. Nevermind, thanks anyways.

5. gopikrsna925

gopikrsna925 New Member

Wish you all a very happy new year.

Gopi

6. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Guys!

Back after the Christmas break and as busy as ever -

These are two very different headphones, Klipsch image S4 are big and chunky sounding and cannot really be described as detailed. They are a warm sounding comfortable headphone which is pretty good value fro the price. They are reliable and also packaged with everything you would expect from a decent earphone.

Phonak PFE 012 are all about precision, delicate texture, separation and a surprisingly wide sound stage for an in ear.

S4 will suit contemporary Dance, HipHop and powerful Rock and Pop whereas PFE012 work better for Classical, Acoustic, Jazz and any complex music or just an analytical detail focused ear.

Hope that helps!:)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  7. gopikrsna925

gopikrsna925 New Member

Hi Robin, thanks for your reply. Hope you enjoyed your Christmas break:)

Just a small doubt, Phonak Audeo PFE 012 says they have clean and accurate sound with added bass and do you think this bass level will be insufficient for listening electronic/dance music. How do you rate the bass levels of these two ear phones on a scale of 10 (1-least and 10-Maximum).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  8. RobinHiFi

Hi Gopi,

Hope you are well today! I would say 5 out of 10 for Bass not meaning 5 out of 10 for quality but for a balanced accurate impression of the Bass that is present in the recording. Bass Presentation is definitely one of the most subjective areas of audio in general, in the Trusted Reviews feature on this earphone the reviewer felt the Green filter present in the 012 version of the Phonak may even be too bassy. You know we can sort it out if you are not keen when you get your one!:)

9. gopikrsna925

gopikrsna925 New Member

Thanks for the information Robin. Eagerly waiting for the delivery and about the ear phones I keep my fingers crossed.

10. gopikrsna925

gopikrsna925 New Member

At last got the delivery today, I am excited now. Can't wait to try them.

11. RobinHiFi

So glad to hear they finally arrived! Obviously give me a call and tell me what you think!:)

12. burton

burton New Member

What were they like?!

13. RobinHiFi

I think Gopi is going to do a bit of a review when he has had them for a bit:)