Philips Fidelio M1

Discussion in 'Headphone Reviews' started by dalethorn, Aug 20, 2012.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I received the Philips Fidelio M1 today, and I am astounded at the sound. Whereas the L1 has a high fidelity treble response (despite a rather emphasized bass), the M1 has essentially no treble. I compared the M1 to the L1, and then I compared the M1 to the v-moda M-80 which has a recessed treble compared to all of my best headphones. The M1 sounds like its treble is 20 db down compared to the M80, and far worse compared to the L1 and Shure 1840, to name a couple of hi-fi headphones. I've seen a couple of frequency response curves on the M1 that suggest the treble isn't that bad, so perhaps this is a quality control issue? The drivers are perfectly matched in output and there's no indication that they're not working correctly.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I had a quick go with the M1 and remember being underwhelmed, I don't remember having as strong reaction but I think I instantly rejected it in favour of the L1 and probably just listened to that. Kornel says he remembers the M1 being very far off the L1. Are they really wooly sounding then? We still have the L1 but we didn't keep the M1 demo - maybe that was why.

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I tried compensating the highs as best I could with a long EQ session in Foobar2000, but as close as I got on one track the next track would be choppy, so I could see that the EQ sliders were making those peaks and dips off to the sides of the center frequency, which is why they make 30-band or greater equalizers for people who have the meters to calibrate them.

I also asked Kevin, the Philips rep on their Facebook page, whether the M1 has been re-voiced for the American market. Kevin always answers questions, even negative questions if they're polite, yet he would not answer either of mine relating to the M1, so it seems there's a problem that someone doesn't want to talk about.

I read three different reviews at reputable U.K. sites - one said the high end was recessed, another said it was very neutral, and a third said the M1's high end was "A bit bright". That suggests to me that either there are different versions, or some kind of QC problem.

EDIT: Just read a response from Kevin at Philips - he doesn't know why, but he's forwarding my question on to someone at Philips.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012