Phonak Audéo PFE 012 or soundMAGIC E10

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by zaxxo1, Nov 29, 2011.

1. zaxxo1

zaxxo1 New Member

Ok, so i really want a pair of in-ear earphones, and after reading loads of reviews, I think I've narrowed it down to the Phonak Audéo PFE 012 and the soundMAGIC E10. Obviously, the soundMAGIC's are half the price of the Phonak's, but the Phonak's undoubtedly have a better quality of sound to them. So my question is whether the 40 or so pounds difference between the the two earphones is noticeable enough to cough up the extra money, bearing in mind that i'm no audiophile, and these will have been the first proper pair of earphones I've bought (though I have decent headphones).

As an aside, if someone thinks there is a better alternative than these two, I'd be happy to hear it, one other very tempting choice I got of the gadget show website was the Pioneer SE-NC31C-K, a noise cancelling option, but I found very few reviews online so discounted it.

Thanks very much in advance.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi zaxxo1

The SoundMAGIC E10 is a relaxed but fun sounding earphone with a contemporary smile cuve EQ - Warm big bottom end, slightly recessed mids and a bright but in no way oppressive top end. The overall sound is warm and comfortable but with an exciting top end.

The Phonak PFE 012 has a flatter EQ with nice punchy bass, but bass which is more in line with a classic hifi feel. They have a cooler sound with much more emphasis on the detail and more detail to hear.

It isn't easy to objectively define the best headphone, some people would prefer the sound of the E10 which is probably a better choice for the Hip Hop and Dance music fan, but the PFE 012 in this case is definitely better if you want to hear more detail and you want more separation and definition of instruments.

I hope that helps!:)

3. zaxxo1

zaxxo1 New Member

hmmmm, thanks a lot, you've given me a lot to think about. Does anyone know about the Pioneer SE-NC31C-K?

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I have not heard the Pioneer SE-NC31C-K, as a noise canceller it is never really going to hgive the fidelity of a headphone which isn't - Think about where any extra money has gone, into cancelling external noise instead of the quality of the drivers - but Pioneer headphones are normally great.