Phonak Audeo PFE 112 v Westone UM1

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ridgey29, May 21, 2012.

1. ridgey29

ridgey29 New Member

May 19, 2012
    Hi there,

Just seeking some advice on which in-ear headphones would be suitable for me. I have been doing a lot of reading about the above 2 products and both of them sound great and exactly what I'm after but still unsure.

I'm looking to use them with Ipod nano and will be playing mainly 320kbps mp3s. So would it be best to buy headphone amp? if so would the FiiO E6 do the job?

Music style mainly: indie alternative rock and folk acoustic.

For use on train and cycling/jogging so they need to block out sound and be rugged & durable.

Your ideas, comments, views really welcome
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Either would work well and both would benefit from a Fiio E6 and a Fiio L3 dock cable.

I think the Phonak PFE112 has it, just, for me but I know some would disagree and head straight for the Westone UM1 - both are excellent with a great fit and reliable with good warranty. Both have excellent isolation and come with Comply tips too! These isolate better than silicone tips.:)
  3. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

Sep 26, 2010
    I tried both the UM1s and the Phonaks, and the UM1s won me over. The Phonak's sound didnt have any 'life' to it, dont get me wrong, its a good set, but it did not wow me. The UM1s are increadibly analytical for what they are, and the only downside to them is that the single-driver design does struggle at times, but thats a limitation of its own design. (Single-driver reproducing the entire spectrum of sound) Robin seems to prefer them, but then again he's not a Beyer fan either ;)

In the words of the immortalized Austin Powers.. Westones Baby Yeah! :D
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012