Phonak isolation, Just how bad or good is it?

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Musicalmadness, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Musicalmadness

Musicalmadness New Member

Quick question as regards to the phonaks just how good is the isolation on these as i've read so many different answers but nothing rock solid.
    Bear in mind i will not use comply tips as they ruin my sound so with the silicone tips how good let's say compared to the Shure line.
    Really interested in a pair as they sound like a nice side grade to my beloved er4, so if anyone could please let me know i would be very grateful and will buy a pair if the isolation is good if not i'll not bother.
    Thank you.

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Phonak Audeo PFE sound isolation

The Phonak Audeo PFE is definitely not the very best isolating earphone with the silicone tips fitted (they isolate 15dB). I believe this is due to the slim design of the nozzle on the earphone. With Comply tips they are very good (approximately 23dB reduction in external sound).

Why do you say that Comply tips ruin the sound? In my experience it depends a lot on the earphone how much difference Comply tips make to the sound. With the PFE I feel they actually improve the sound very slightly (creating a little more warmth) due to the perfect seal created in the ear.

3. Musicalmadness

Hi shaun and thanks for the info on the phonaks, in one small post you answered what i wanted to know perfectly, thank you.
    As regards to why i don't like comply tips well 2 reasons really but the first point is the most important.
    As you said they warm the sound which i do not like,i prefer razor sharp details and bright sound, hence my love of er4, i've got other iem's that are warm, shure senn etc but i just don't feel my music on the go like i do with my ety's.
    Secondly although it isn't as big a deal as the sound is that complys get worn out way to quick and are very expensive to keep buying.
    In general i liked the look of the phonak primarily because of the bright detailed sound with the added bonus of the over the ear style and as you know yourself the one drawback of the ety is the cable and even with the shirt clip they are not the best for walking about.

4. ROB_GTR

ROB_GTR New Member

to be honest with the silicone tips i find the sound isolation pretty good! not completely deaf to my surroundings but not far from it. With no music on and just the earphones in its hard to hear someone next to me talking loudly but with music on i hear nothing (even at low volume)

A good fit with silicone tips is very very good (and more comfy IMHO)

hope thats of some help..........

5. Musicalmadness

Thanks for the info bud, it's much appreciated.
    Honestly i'm still on the fence with these they really sound like my cup of tea soundwise but i have to be 100% sure on the isolation, no point having an earphone i cannot hear.
    Anyway thanks for the opinion, makes me want to try a pair especially after my rather poor experience with the Hf5.