Phonak or Beyerdynamic???

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by boomjunkie, Feb 6, 2011.

1. boomjunkie

boomjunkie New Member

Hi all!
    I've just joined this forum as I'm looking for peoples advice or experience on which IEM's to buy for under £100.
    I've been doing a lot of surfing the net to find a shortlist of candidates..
    I'm toying with either buying: Beyerdynamic DTX80 Earphones (What hifi winners 2010) or Phonak Audeo PFE Pefect Bass 012 Earphones (Stuff magazine winners 2010), both around £80. Shure's SE115 were also on the list, but I think the others are going to be better.
    I generally listen to Rock & metal and also electronica like The Prodigy, so I'm looking for a set of earphones that will give me plenty of bottom end, but not at the expense of losing out on clarity. I play my music via a 3rd gen ipod touch with all music ripped at 320. The only earphones I've had to date are Skullcandy's smokin buds so Im looking to buy something that will be a massive improvement over these!

Please help, or advise, or other recommendations will be gratefully received!

2. hughkk

hughkk New Member

apparently phonak has very little bass, but lots of clarity
    so i think DTX80 is better

3. boomjunkie

boomjunkie New Member

It's funny you saying that, as I'd read reviews to say it was the other way round?

4. hughkk

hughkk New Member

5. boomjunkie

boomjunkie New Member

So what did you end up buying and what did you think of them?

6. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Yeah HughKK, would be great to hear what you chose in the end...

7. boomjunkie

boomjunkie New Member

Well, I've decided. I've Just ordered the Beyedynamics DTX100 from Amazon, £69.99. I will update this post to let you know what I think of them once they arrive! :0)

8. boomjunkie

boomjunkie New Member

Got the Beyerdynamic DTX100 yesterday and plugged them into my ipod touch. I listened to quite a few different styles of music, from The prodigy, some heavy Prog metal, Seal and some regular pop, anything with high production. (All at 256 bit rate). I know earphones generally take a few hours use before they 'wear in', but first impression of these Beyers is WOW! I was expecting these to show major flaws in my MP3 compression, but quite the opposite. I'm now hearing little subtleties in the music that I didnt hear before and the bass is just right, nice and warm and tight, not too overbearing.

I'm pretty sure, I've made a cracking choice with these earphones. I cant wait for them to to get better as they loosen up in next few hours use!!

:0)