'phones for music and movies that don't annoy those nearby

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by JtotheB, Aug 9, 2012.

1. JtotheB

JtotheB New Member

I'm dipping my toes into decent headphones for the first time. My budget is around £200.
    Ideally I'd like to plug them into my TV for movies, and my iPhone and iPad for music, podcasts and movies.
    Ideally they wouldn't leak much so as to annoy others (although they will rarely be used whilst travelling).
    I'm looking for 'phones that will enhance movies (TVs are getting so cool and thin that inbuilt speakers are useless) I like to hear dialogue and effects and I like it quite loud! Also to enhance and make my heart sing when I'm listening to music.
    A tall order? Or something you can help me with?
    Here's my newbie question... Do headphones at this price have replaceable/removable leads in case I trip over it/damage it/ dog eats it?
    Many thanks.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

3. JtotheB

JtotheB New Member

Narrowing it down?

Thanks Dalethorn,

I've had a look and like the following:

AKG K-271 MK II Closed-Back Studio Headphones (K271 MK-II) Good price, detachable cable, low sound leakage

Audio-Technica ATH-A700x Closed Back Audiophile Headphones - closed back. Like the look of them. Don't know about detachable cable

Beyerdynamic DT880's Semi closed (bit more sound leak?) seem to be good all rounders. Don't know about cable attachment.

The Beyerdynamic DT770's look good too. Lower price than the 880's. Closed back? Noticeably different?

German Maestro GMP 450 PRO Closed Headphones (GMP450PRO)

AKG K 550 Closed Back Reference-Class Headphones (K550) Good reviews

Of course, now I'm all concerned about headphone amps and ohms(?) More of a learning curve than I thought!

All help appreciated.

many thanks.

4. marcusd

marcusd Member

Try the K550 for movies etc where detail can be the difference maker - fantastic headphone and well worth the price.

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Have a look at this review Soundmagic HP100 – A balanced debut

SoundMAGIC HP100 Closed Back Headphones (HP-100)
    £169.99

Don't know if we will have them in time for your Holiday though:)

Also see -

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £145.00 - Really tough but fixed cable

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones
    £149.00 - as tough as they come but fixed cable

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £144.95 - Replaceable cable

Shure SRH940 Professional Closed Back Headphones (SRH 940)
    £179.95 - Replaceable cable

and the crazy bargain of the day!

Pioneer SE-MJ591 Foldable Closed Back Audiophile Headphones
    £124.96 - These should be £220 - replaceable cable

6. JtotheB

JtotheB New Member

Sometimes I forget how we coped before www.

Thank you all, great advice and recommendations.

I'm going to go with the AKG K550s as movies is my main need and Marcusd made a good call.

Thanks again,

JB

7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

8. JtotheB

JtotheB New Member

AKG 550s

Hello,

An update/first impressions having bought the AKGs (bought locally, sorry Robin)

A fine upgrade from the cheap earbuds I had. That was a given I suppose.

Before how they sound... some practical stuff.

It's not technical - I know nothing, it's a gut reaction from using them for 48 hours. They are quite big and take a little getting used to. Finding a comfortable sweet spot means some playing around. The headband isn't hugely padded so finding the comfy zone is important. As I'm still new to them I find them a bit heavy for long periods - I really do think this is me not being used to this style as they aren't actually heavy at all. I'm also finding them hot for long periods too. The plastic/leather sitting on my ears for the duration of a movie makes them hot and sweaty. Don't really notice that whilst engrossed in the action or music though.

Sound wise they really do make movies come to life. Family constraints mean I can't really justify a home cinema so having some headphones is a compromise that works. Compared to the crappy speakers that come on TVs these days they are a revelation. I can hear the dialogue properly, the sound mix moves all around my head and it does feel that I'm much more 'part of the movie' than I ever was beforehand. They really do isolate noise well and taking them off after immersion in either music or movies really highlights how focussed on the sound you are whilst wearing them. (Also, tried hoovering with them on and fabulously couldn't hear the hoover at all)

Music is good too. A depth of sound that takes in some of the subtitles that were either lost or I couldn't hear with the cheapies I had before. Really need to make more use of EQ on the iphone/ipad though to get the best sound for the genre of music.

To sum up. They sound great, I need to get used to their size.

Thanks again for your help and best wishes for the future.

JB

9. JtotheB

JtotheB New Member

AKg 550s

Ahem.... Subtleties not subtitles!