Pioneer SE-MJ31 / MJ51 / MJ71

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Hol_L, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Hol_L

Hol_L New Member

I want to buy Pioneer headphones for less than £100 so I came up with these three models:
    SE-MJ31; SE-MJ51; SE-MJ71
    However I'm really confused as to what the differences are between them. On the Pioneer.eu website, the MJ31 and MJ51 have exactly the same specs but a different look and price. There is NO MJ71 model. On other sites, the MJ71 look like the MJ51 with slightly better specs, have different colours BUT the MJ51 don't really exist (in USA?).
    Can someone please help me sort out this confusion?

I think I prefer the MJ51/MJ71 look but I'm not going to pay an extra £10 if there's no difference sound-wise. Has the Pioneer website just got the specs wrong?

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Having heard the MJ31 and MJ51, the MJ51 is slightly more detailed and clearer all round, but not by a huge amount. I would say that the difference is subtle but obvious, it is most likely down to a better cable or more metal inside the driver or better metal inside the driver.

As for the difference between model numbers I cannot help - I cannot find any info for the MJ71 here in the UK, anything i do find has what looks like an MJ51 in the pics. Sorry I cannot shed any light on that bit.

3. Hol_L

Hol_L New Member

Thanks that clears things up quite a bit :)
    Now what do you think about the Pioneer SE-MJ551?
    Again the specs are pretty similar :S

4. RobinHiFi

It is a long time since I tried these. I remember really liking the MJ31 and 51 and thinking they worked well at their price. I remember thinking the MJ551 was not as good at its price - just not as good value for money. I thought the Pioneers sounded good, punchy and contemporary - the MJ range offering a cheaper alternative to the Audio Technica ES55 and ES7, which are a little nicer.

5. Hol_L

Hol_L New Member

But would you say they were better than the MJ31 and MJ51 overall? Not in terms of their value.
    P.S thanks for the quick reply :)

6. RobinHiFi

I would say they are not very good at their RRP because there are some much nicer cans to be had nearer £100 - however you can get these so cheap that I now like them again. If you are paying around £50 then they are pretty good - a little better than the MJ51.:)