Please Help Me Choose My Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by markcoward, Aug 3, 2010.

1. markcoward

markcoward New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Hi there,

This is my first ever post, not only on this forum but on any forum so please be gentle :). I am here because I am at a point where I would like to spend what I would consider a lot of money on a pair of headphones but every shop I have asked to try a pair to ensure I like them they tell me I am unable to. For this reason I need help from people who know what they are talking about :).

This is currently my shortlist;

Sony MDR-NC60
    Bose Around-Ear
    Sennheiser HD25 Mk2
    Philips SHN9500/00

My first question is are noise cancelling headphones worth it? With that feature turned on does the sound quality suffer?

If this is the case then that eliminates 3 of my four selected.
    Are these the best I can get for no more than £150?
  2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Help choosing headphones

Yes, noise cancelling does indeed compromise the quality of sound. Noise cancellers often make a high frequency hiss and the sound is less natural than without noise cancelling. The need for batteries can also be a pain.

The Sennheiser HD25 is an excellent headphone that isolates external noise very well, despite being an on-ear design.

The Denon AH-D1001 is well worth considering for a portable non-noise cancelling headphone. Sound is punchy and the headphones are comfortable.

The Audio-Technica ATH-ES55 is another portable headphone that we recommend. The design is lightweight and sound is very well rounded.

If you don't mind a headphone that is a little larger then the Ultrasone HFI-780 is an excellent choice. This headphone sounds surprisingly open considering it's closed back design. We're big fans of the way this headphone sounds.
  3. shokka9

shokka9 New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Please advise, if you can....

Started a new thread instead

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010